Thursday, September 9, 2010

Three Ways with Elegant Lines (that you may not have thought about doing!)

For a Wow factor, and four cards too!

So you got that embossing folder that everyone was talking about… and now it sits on your craft table.  You know it can be used for a background, but you want something more, something different.  Perhaps it’s time to look at that embossing folder a little differently! 

Today I’m working with the elegant lines textured embossing folder from Stampin’ Up!  The folder was featured in the release of the new 2010/11 Idea book & Catalog… and such a hit that it went on back order for the first couple of weeks.  The deeply etched lines are a real crowd pleaser, and cardstock embossed with the elegant lines embossing folder are real Wow cards too!  But… let’s think outside the box for a minute!

Here’s the elegant lines Embossing Folder on Basic Black Cardstock.  The relief image wells have been filled with a white signo gel pen.. it’s a fun and mindless doodling activity… I got a little carried away, and added a few extra dots with my white signo gel pen too :)  Everyone who sees it says “WOW.. how did you that?”  Can you imagine a Flamenco dancer image stamp and paper cut onto the top of this background?

B&W Elegant Lines Background Created By You

How about adding a simple embossed phrase…maybe some basic jewels Pearls?

B&W Thanks Created By You Flamenco

Have you digested that one yet?  What if you embossed some metal with the elegant lines embossing folder?  This sample isn’t really metal, it is faux stainless steel contact paper I picked up at Lowe’s Hardware Store…   The Contact Paper was attached to a sheet of Whisper White Cardstock before it was run through my big shot machine using the elegant lines textured embossing folder… pretty cool, isn’t it?  I love the detail that shows up!  Can’t you see those wells colored in with alcohol inks?  You could go make your own Peter Max Canvas with this folder!

Brushed Silver CreatedBy You

One more… this one uses Early Espresso Cardstock (run through the big shot machine with the elegant lines textured embossing folder of course)… and River Rock Cardstock as a background/base.

Cutwork Created By You

 

I couldn’t help wondering what the Elegant Lines embossing folder would look like if I used an exacto knife to cut out the wells of the design… probably not something I would mass produce LOL… but it reminds me of a fine cutwork linen skirt I happen to own :)  Everyone says WOW on this one too… and when they ask how I did it, say No WAY!  Too funny, it took me a while to do this… but it was very relaxing!  This card base is also the reason why I resorted to the white signo gel pen in sample one!  (That first card is not looking so tedious any more, is it?)

Tomorrow I will feature the Sketch Frenzy Friday mini blog hop and challenge.. hope to see you back here for a fun mini tour!

Hugs,

Sharon

Technorati Tags: ,,,
Pin It!

12 comments:

Sandra said...

WOW! Love it!
Sandra

lisa808 said...

Thanks for showing so many different ways to use the pretty embossing folder.

Kasey Litt said...

Hi Sharon-

Your designs are so inspiring!

One technique I've used with this folder is to take a marker (your choice of color although I used elegant eggplant) and run it through the lines. On some of the flat parts I actually colored in with the marker sort of like a letter press effect.

mmwilken said...

Love how that was made!! They are all so gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing.

Shari Winterstein said...

These are definitely striking and anyone would be wowed to receive one. Thanks for blessing my day. :)

KreatesKards said...

Thank you ... I never knew there was faux stainless steel contact paper. I'm headed to Lowe's!!! I love this embossing folder and have used it a great deal too. (photos on my blog).

stampinsue said...

TFS, Sharon! I just whipped one up using some foil I bought a while ago at a local craft store. I like the idea of the contact paper, though! I just love working with "metal" and different mediums. Thanks for bringing me back to it.

nana_cindy42 said...

Very different!! I really like them, esp the 1st 2 with the dots. And, yes, I would love to see color in the wells of the 'metal' one! Ingenious!
PS: missed you yesterday. Hope everything is ok with you and family.

Krista Driessen said...

What a great idea !

Nicole Tugrul said...

Fantastic ideas! Very clever!

Bev Dahl said...

How awesome! Love your ideas. The last one with the cut outs .. I thought you had bleached between the lines at first. Now I will have to try that with the Espresso or black.. or red, or blue.. Thanks for getting my mind in gear! Great ideas!

Patrice said...

Sharon you are so stinking cleaver!!! Great job, things i did not even think of :) Thanks!~