Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday Morning… Blahs? I’ve got a card for you!

Got the Monday Morning Blahs?  Here’s a pretty fall card… stamped and sponged, featuring the Day of Gratitude Stamp Set from the Holiday Mini Catalog.  I’ve decorated this card both inside and out with the wonderful images from the stamp set, using an assortment of stamp techniques, which I’m sharing with you too! 

The medallion image from the Day of Gratitude stamp set was stamped using the Rock ‘N Roll technique… Starting with the lightest color, the medallion was stamped with More Mustard ink, and then the outer edges were rolled gently in Cajun Craze Ink.  To read more about this technique and how it is done, you can check out the free tutorial on Splitcoaststampers by Beate Johns here:  Rock N Roll Technique.

DG913 www.createdbyu.blogspot.com 

Next, I sponged all around the medallion with a pouncing motion using old olive classic ink.  Pounce gently, up and down.. no bird track finger nail images wanted.  After stamping the Gratitude sentiment with Old Olive ink, it was mounted onto Old Olive, and then Cajun Craze cardstock.  If you look at the picture closely, you will see that the sponging is a bit heavier at the corners, and then lightens up as you approach the image.  This is an old  trick I learned in my days of stencils… always darker around the outside edges, but leaving a lighter center makes the focal image pop!

The background of the entire card is Presto Patterns Designer Series Paper which has been sponged with more mustard, old olive, and cajun craze classic inks.  Instead of pouncing the ink onto the paper as we did around the medallion, the paper was sponged in random areas using the lightest color first, and with more of a swirling motion.  The ink colors overlap ever so slightly… too much and you’ll have mud on your hands and paper LOL!  When satisfied with the color, the paper surface was buffed with a soft tissue (aka Kleenex).

After stamping the leaf image with old olive classic ink onto a scrap of Very Vanilla cardstock, I used paper snips to cut out the image, and then sponged a little more mustard and old olive classic ink to give it color.  I cut the image into two pieces so it could be mounted above and below the scrunched ribbon.

Here’s the inside of today’s Day of Gratitude Card Share:

P8200003

The leaf was stamped DTP (direct to paper)… and then colored with a more mustard stampin write marker… I wish I had cut it out and sponged it instead, really prefer the look achieved on the card front.  A partial medallion Image was stamped in the corner, again using the rock ‘n roll technique… and then the cardstock was again sponged with old olive classic ink.

There are three more images in the Day of Gratitude stamp set which weren’t used on this card… an acorn, another leaf, and a floral image for a total of 7 coordinating stamps in the set.  The stamp set remind me of my time in the Pocono Mountains and the Pennsylvania Dutch hex signs, medallions and symbols frequently used on barns.  The images were always kind of whimsical, and colorful.  Here’s a bit of trivia for you:  I lived in Pennsylvania for 10 years, learned to hand quilt, piece, and how to do Appliqué quilts while living there… and actually won a couple quilting awards too.  Although I loved living in the mountains, and quilting with my friends, I don’t miss the drab gray winters at all!  Plus, it’s a lot warmer in Florida during the winter… well, not always, but most of the time!  Any Pennsylvania Quilters out there?  Or Quilters?  I really need to start using my fabric stash!

Stamps & Supplies Used in today’s Day of Gratitude Stamp Set:

Stamps:  Day of Gratitude

Cardstock and Paper:  Presto Patterns Designer Series Paper, Cajun Craze, More Mustard, Old Olive, Very Vanilla

Classic Inks:  Old Olive, Cajun Craze, More Mustard

Accessories:  Paper Snips, Stampin Write Markers, Stampin Sponges, Old Olive 5/8” Satin Ribbon, Stampin Dimensionals

Love to read your comments, hope you’ll give the rock ‘n roll technique a whirl! 

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

2 comments:

Shari Winterstein said...

This is a beautiful card both inside and out! Thanks for blessing my day. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon, I'm a demo and a quilter, too. Actually, my quilting is my relaxation and my stamping has now become more business and doing 'big' things...my son and his fiance's wedding invites and all the accoutrements. Using our stash to make the purses so popular now and making the pins with the Floral dies for the Big Shot are fun to do....ANd I love making quilts for my grandson. You have convinced me to buy the Day of Gratitude stampset....oh well, what's one more??? Happy crafting! Maggi Minneman