Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Evolution of a Swap Card… Plant Hope Palm Tree Card

I sat down this afternoon to crank out a swap card for a special event… but I must be tired.  I really wanted to use the lovely palm image from the Plant Hope stamp set, and although I like the basic design, I’m now totally wondering if I like any of them.  So.. today I’m sharing the evolution of my swap card, and asking you to tell me which one you like best!

First, I cut an oval mask with my Big Shot Machine and Ovals Die.  I wanted the mask to be the same size as the card I was about to stamp, and to only use one of the ovals on the die.  To do this I offset the paper by appx. 1/4” on two sides of the die (the paper protruded from the die on two sides).  After running the regular die sandwich through the Big Shot Machine, I had one perfectly placed ovals and two partial ovals cut.  Of course, I wanted to protect my card as much as possible, so taped the cut ovals back into the mask :)  Didn’t look too pretty, but it worked really well!

With the mask in place, I sponged the oval opening with Marina Mist and Crumb Cake Classic Ink before coloring the Palm Tree image with Chocolate Chip and  Old Olive Markers… the same process used for each of the three cards.

Here’s the first of three Palm Tree cards I made:

First Palm Tree Created By You

With a couple subtle differences, here’s the second Palm Tree Card:

Double Matted Palm Tree Created By You

And, completely removing the Marina Mist Cardstock Layer… here’s the third Palm Tree card:

Natural Palm Tree Created By You

OK.. now it’s up to you!  Which one would you prefer to receive in a swap, if any, and why?

Stamps & Supplies Used in today’s Plant Hope Palm Tree Cards:

Stamps:  Plant Hope

Cardstock:  Naturals Ivory, Marina Mist

Classic Ink:  Crumb Cake, Marina Mist, Chocolate Chip

Accessories:  Silver Brads, Mat pack & Paper Piercing Tool, Sizzix Ovals Die, Big Shot Machine, Old Olive & Chocolate Chip Stampin Write Markers

Your comments are always appreciated, and I especially appreciate your help on this one… I must get more sleep!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

15 comments:

Dorothy said...

I like the 2nd one the best. I definitely think it needs the marina mist CS - seems to pop the blue out of the sky better. I also like the line drawn around the inside. Almost frames the picture within the picture - picture frame matted look. Gorgeous! Hope that helps!

Leslie said...

I like the second one.

Terry Molineux said...

I love them all but I especially like the last one...clean and simple!

TFS

Inky Hugs,
Terry~~

Ann said...

Hi Sharon,

Although all three cards are beautiful, personally, I prefer card number 2. Why? Because the blue matt coupled with the thin green line and three brads give the card more dimension and depth of field. It actually reminds me of a vintage post card. As always, VERY well done Sharon - I enjoy visiting your site and perusing your awesome designs.

Thanks so much for sharing your talents!!

Enjoy the weekend....

Ann Ullery
Holiday, Florida

Barb Vinnes said...

I think all 3 cards are very nice,the last one is my favorite as the BG being understated does not attract from the immage and the greeting. Gives greater attention to your lovely details. My humble opinion.
Barb Vinnes
Coon Rapids ,Mn

lisa808 said...

I like the first one best because of the little bit of dark trim. Definitely like the MM matting.

KreatesKards said...

I like #2 the best. I think it makes the palm tree look more natural in color. I agree the Mariner Mist layer is a must have. It really enhances the card. GREAT idea for the card.

Mary
http://www.kreateskards.blogspot.com

inkedx2 said...

I think you should go with the 2nd one. It just seems to pop more.

Robbie

thestampinglady said...

I prefer the second one. The added layers make the image pop just a little more. Also it seems the sentiment is just a little closer to the tree which I like. Options 1 is okay, but I find option 3 with too much white space--JMHO.

Dorothy said...

I got it!! I keep looking at this card... and I finally figured it out! The reason I love it so much is that it reminds me of "historic Florida." St. Augustine, Wakulla Springs, St. Marks... these are places I've been to many times as a youth and I have such fond memories. This card transports me back to those places and those times. Thanks again for sharing them with us.

Anonymous said...

The third card is a different from your regular kind of card. Most cards have layers of different colors but the third one stands out with the slight edges of color.
Barbara

Ms said...

Well I can't help you because I think all 3 are absolutely stunning... you truly are my idol.....thank you for sharing your creativity

pegh said...

I would like to receive any of them but I prefer #2.

cinmfoster said...

All three are great, but the second is my favorite. The blue makes it pop out.

Sharon Steinwand said...

Well, don't toss out any! #2 appeals to me - I like the blue bringing out the coloring in the palm. #3 grows on me...what would it look like with some of the corners rounded, to compliment the oval shape, or naturals ivory photo corners on one upper and opposite lower corners? I might play with this! I love the double matting.