Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Where Women Create: Techniques Thursday & Ramblings…

On random Thursdays, my Where Women Create Group meets to explore and expand our crafting horizons.  It is a fun group, and although we do a lot of stamping and stamping related product exploration, we sometimes get very little ‘done’… Don’t get me wrong, we accomplish volumes, coming up with new uses for products I’ve purchased through Stampin Up, educating and challenging each other in techniques, artistic applications, and methods.  They love seeing all my blog post cards and items in person, and it’s a day of fun, friendship, and outside the box thinking… pushing our creativity to the max.

Today’s cards and canvas are shared from earlier sessions of Where Women Create… I had just posted my vellum butterflies and soft sponged sky technique, and was sharing the cards, the process, and of course the technique.  Everyone wanted a little hands on time with the techniques…  so we all made vellum butterflies using All a Flutter, stamped and sponged a background… and then decided collectively to try the technique with the turtle image from the Natures Nest Stamp set.

I’ll show you some of the cards… and an altered canvas made during the session, but please remember they were all experimental, and part of the creative process.  I was able to snap a couple pictures before some cards left… but they were all still in the ‘work in progress’ or WIP phase when they left the creative play date… none completely finished! 

As you can see, all the cards are similar yet different!  With permission from the card makers, here they are!

Mer’s card.. I can hear her saying “But it’s not finished”… I know, I know!!!  I love how her sky turned out… she added whispy clouds with a white signo gel pen, sponged her grass, and added a gold paint pen border too!

1merp61ooo31

And here’s Tee’s card… with white signo gel pen dotted border, and a hand-drawn and hand written banner across the top… she to use her butterfly on another project instead.  Tee has such lovely handwriting, doesn’t she!1teeP6100028

Here’s my prototype:

P6150035

I think they would all make fabulous 3D ATC’s don’t you?

Here’s an altered canvas made during one of the sessions… using various found items or bric a brac including stamped images, backer mesh from tiles, broken shell pieces and golden mediums…

P7020010

The Key and Crown images are from the Artistic Etchings Stamp set, and the swirls are drawn with a toothpick and re-inker.  Can you see the tiny pearl at the water’s edge?  It’s kind of like a Where’s Waldo puzzle canvas… the more you look, the more you will find.  As I pulled supplies out of my scrap pile, and embellishment drawer, we reminisced about Paula’s Stamp Store in St. Mary’s Georgia… talk about eye candy!!  We all really miss Paula, her fabulously decorated store and creativity!  (The drilled gold coin came from a goody bag I received at the Creative Palette Convention Paula organized a few years back… boy we miss that convention too!)

Perhaps you have a creative play group of your own… then you know that it’s like a mental health day!  Stamping with friends just can’t be beat…

Did you know that two new stamp clubs are starting again this week?  The First Wednesday Card Club meets at 11am, and the First Thursday Card Club meets at 6pm (on the first Wed. and Thurs. of each month).  It’s a great way to earn hostess benefits and free product without hosting an in home workshop!! There are still a couple seats open… if you’d like to join, please contact me or use the tab at the top/right on this page!  There’s nothing like stamping with friends!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

3 comments:

Susan said...

What a talented group, sounds like a lot of fun. How do I join?

Diane - Rubber 'n Rafters said...

They ALL look great. I totally understand about not getting much done. Our group is same sometimes, so much gabbing...but soooo much fun. Friends Forever!

Cindy said...

Love the vellum butterflies! I found you on SC and am now a follower. I hope you will follow me too! http://www.heartsdelightcards.blogspot.com/