Saturday, August 7, 2010

What can you do with an old Barn? Faux Barn Board Crackle Finish Tutorial!

Yesterday was our Where Women Create Creative Play Date… what fun!  The group meets bi-monthly and we always have a great time.  We’re a very flexible group… and the group size varies based on personal commitments, family, etc…  but most of all we share friendship, creativity, and fun.  Today’s tutorial share and project is exactly the type of creative play we engage in during our meetings… this one came from my friend Tee (Green Isles Crafts) when she shared the link to the the Elmer’s Glue Crackle Paint Directions.  My mind began spinning with possibilities… and I thought I’d try using it with my Stampin Up! Inks and products, just for fun!  So I began experimenting, and engaging in creative play… It’s exactly the kind of thing we do in our bi monthly Where Women Create meetings… exploring the possibilities and pushing each member’s unique potential for creative discovery!  So… be sure to thank my friend Tee (Green Isles Crafts) for today’s inspiration!

First, here’s the card I made featuring the Sense of Time Stamp Set from Stampin Up, and the Faux Barn Board Crackle Finish:

P8050012cracklecreatedbyu

Pretty cool, isn’t it??  I had so much fun creating the look of old barn board… and thought an old clock was the perfect accompaniment for the barn board.  I used the cracked glass technique on the clock.  The sentiment was borrowed from the Thoughts and Prayers stamp set… great card for the gentlemen, don’t you think?

Here’s the inside of the card (a few of you are always asking to see the inside of my cards :)

P8050013insidecreatedbyu

Pretty simple… stamped the gear image from the Sense of Time stamp set on both pieces of very Vanilla Card Stock, and distressed both pieces with Soft Suede Classic Ink and a sponge dauber… giving it more of a vintage feel.

Here are the instructions I started with, straight from the Elmer’s Glue Site:

How do I use Elmer's to create the painted crackle effect or antique look on furniture or crafts?
Just follow this recipe:
  1. Paint the object or furniture with an acrylic craft paint. Let dry.
  2. Cover the paint with a coat of Elmer's Glue-All glue.
  3. While still wet, paint on another coat of a different color of acrylic paint. The painted item will begin to crackle as it dries.
  4. When dry, cover with another coat of the Elmer's Glue-All as a sealer.

So… are you ready to do it the Stampin Up! way??  I’m calling this faux barn board because it looks like an old barn we once owned on Eatonbrook Lake in New York… Here we go!

First, I mixed Soft Suede Re-inker with Acrylic Paint to achieve a dark base color… and painted it onto a sheet of Very Vanilla Card Stock, allowing some of the base card stock color to show through. 

CreatedByYouP7170001crackle1

The moisture makes the card stock curl…  So I used a pre-heated paper crafting heat tool to dry it…

CreatedByYouP7170002Crackl;e2

I always pre-heat my heat tool, to prevent burning the card stock… when the tool is hot, it works more quickly and effectively to dry the card stock without burning… and as it dried, the card stock flattened out.

Once dry, I quickly painted on a very thin layer of Elmer’s glue and allowed it to dry for just a few seconds (not all the way)… it has somewhat of a milky appearance. 

 createdbyuP7170003crackle3

The Elmer’s glue is not completely dry, and still slightly tacky, I painted  on a thin layer of White Acrylic Paint.  The Ink/Paint mixture below the glue covered surface will begin to bleed up through the white acrylic paint. cracklecreatedbyuP7170005_4

As it dries, it crackles!  You can speed the process by gently coaxing it with a heat tool.. but be sure not to burn the cardstock or paint! 

crackle5_P7170007CreatedByYou

Isn’t it fun?  Looks just like an old barn board, doesn’t it?

Hope you try it soon.. it’s a real wow effect, like magic!

Hugs,

Sharon

 

 

 

Pin It!

16 comments:

ArtisticInkspirations said...

That is SOOOO COOL!!! I showed Becky and she said...wow...we'll have to try it!! Love it!! good job Ms Sharon!!

Nancy said...

Oh WOW.. this looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to try it. Thanks for being so generous and sharing these great tutorials every week!!!

lisa808 said...

Awesome technique. tfs

stamperbeth said...

Thanks for sharing this great tutorial. Off to find my acrylic paint.

stampingmadly said...

Great technique, Sharon. thank you for sharing it with us.

Kimberly said...

I’m following you from SC and I can’t wait to check back to see your creations!
http://faithhopeandlovedesigns.blogspot.com/

Brandy said...

I love this look Sharon! TFS! Oh and the clock face looks great with it too!

Nanci said...

Fantastic card and great tutorial. Can't wait to try it!
I'm following you from SC. Hope you'll join me too.
www.crafthavenretreats.blogspot.com

Tanya said...

FABULOUS tutorial!! You always have the best ideas and tutorials!

grandmalee said...

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful technique with us! I love the card you created with this paper...stunning! I'm always needing more manly cards and this fits the bill!

Anonymous said...

Great technique, thanks for sharing.

Michelle Gray said...

Very cool tech! Thanks for the tut!

Patrice said...

Man o man that is a beautiful card!! I love your work Sharon. Thanks for the tutorial I'll have to give it a try!
Patrice from VC Rocks

Sandra Farrell said...

Thanks for the tutorial. This card is great. I can't wait to try this out.

Cindy said...

Gorgeous! This has inspired me to try the technique for myself, thanks!

Monica said...

WOW! That was a cool technique and it does not require too much stuff. I will go and give it a try for sure. Great effect!

Happy to be your follower,

Monica