Monday, August 30, 2010

A Softly Blushing Bride Glossy Ghost Questions Answered

A few years ago, when I took my Glossy Ghost card to the Stampin Up Convention in Salt Lake City, it was quite a hit!  Even in the dim lighting on the convention floors, people were seeking me out for the card and technique details.  Quite a first convention experience for me!  Since that time I’ve changed the technique a bit, adding color to the glossy card stock surface with a brayer, and of course have had a few questions as well.  So today, I hope to clear up some of those questions!

Today’s card was made for a splitcoaststampers swap I recently participated in.  The swap required us to use new in-color card stock and stamps from the new Idea Book & Catalog.  My card features Blushing Bride, Crumb Cake, Craft, and Glossy White Cardstock and the stamped image from the Silhouette Sentiments Hostess Level One Stamp Set along with Basic Jewel Pearls, and textured embossing folders:  Elegant Lines and Perfect Polka Dots.

Blushing Bride Glossy Ghost Created By You

I’ve been answering private queries about this technique for a while… from people who experienced both success and failure with this technique, and I’m posting answers to most often heard questions today.

If you’ve already read or tried the glossy ghost technique (posted on the FREE tutorial tab at the top of this page)… you know the basics:  Stamp image with Versamark Ink, let it dry, and polish with a soft cloth to finish (NO embossing powder needed).

Since making the first card and writing the tutorial, I have also discovered a few extra tips…

  • Use an older/drier Versamark Ink pad… your image will dry more quickly and be ready for the ink and brayer.
  • Use a heat tool (carefully) to dry the image.  Tilting it in light, you can see whether it is still wet or not.
  • IF your versamark is not completely dry, when you polish or brayer, the image will smear… and that’s yucky!
  • Load your brayer ONLY as wide as your ink pad.  This is a fabulous tip I learned from Michelle Zindorf in one of her very educational brayer classes (she’s a fabulous teacher, if you get a chance, take her class!!!)
  • Start and end your brayer movement OFF the cardstock (another fabulous MZ tip).  Believe me, it makes a big difference!
  • Once you have added ink to the Versamark stamped image with your brayer, allow it to set for 20-30 seconds before polishing with a soft tissue to remove excess ink from the stamped image.

Stamps and Supplies used in today’s Blushing Bride Glossy Ghost Card:

Stamps:  Silhouette Sentiments

Ink:  Versamark, Soft Suede, Blushing Bride, Crumb Cake

Cardstock:  Blushing Bride, Whisper White, Glossy White

Accessories:  Big Shot Machine, Perfect Polka Dots and Elegant Lines Embossing Folder, Itty Bitty Punch Pack, Basic Jewels Pearls, Stampin Dimensionals, Brayer, Crumb Cake, Whisper White Taffeta Ribbon, Sponge Dauber

Did you get one of these swaps, if so I hope you liked it!

Tomorrow is another edition of the Diva Coffee Break Designs Team… and it’s a color challenge this time, and I’ve got two cards to share with all of you!  Hope you’ll stop by and say hi!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

5 comments:

Elsie said...

Just beautiful, thanks for sharing

Elsie said...

Thanks for sharing. Just Beautiful. I can not find the glossy ghost technique nor does the link after your signature work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Created By You said...

Elsie.. I do not have your email address so I cannot answer your question directly..
In the very first sentence, where you see the words Glossy Ghost, you can click that set of words and it will take you directly to the technique. Alternatively, you an also click on the Tutorials tab at the top of my page, scroll down to the glossy ghost technique and view the complete tutorial there by clicking on the image. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

I was a fortunate one to have received one of these cards and it is sitting on my wall of fame. It is so beautiful and I will be using the technique in my 3 technique clubs. I know they will enjoy it as much as I do! thank you again!!!

Debbie

Kitty A. said...

LOVE this layout and the technique. Thanks for the details on now to make it more successful!
kit_marie09 at yahoo dot com