Saturday, July 31, 2010

Tutorial: 7 Steps to a perfect Button Tied Ribbon Bow… and 3 cards with subtle differences

I am frequently asked to tell how I tie the bows on my card.. so today, I’m sharing a step by step tutorial for a button tied bow,  one of the bows you frequently see on Created By You.  This past month, as a guest designer for the Cards & Things Challenge, I actually made three cards for Krista’s Color Challenge.  All three cards used Pumpkin Pie, Regal Rose, Pretty In Pink and Chocolate Chip Card Stock from Stampin Up.  Each was also enhanced with ribbon, one with a button tied bow  (today’s tutorial). 

So… here they are!  First up:  a button tied onto the ribbon to create a sash look

P7020008buttonsashbowcreatedbyu

The one I submitted as my guest designer entry to the Cards & Things Challenge.

P7020002bkkristakrischallengecbyu

And last, changing it up a bit… looks more like a little girls’ Easter Dress with a button tied bow sash (this is the one I’m going to show you today).

P7020009buttontiedbowcreatedbyyou

So step by step, here is how to create a button tied bow!!

  • Start by cutting a strip of ribbon appx. 3/4” longer than your card and set aside.
  • Next, run Stampin Up Linen Thread through  your button… but leave a large loop behind the button

3P7230008

  • Next fold one end of the ribbon across towards the spool.  NOTE:  I rarely cut ribbon from the spool until after the bow has been tied and secured!

 1P7230002

  • And of course, the  other end back over the now looped and loose end… (this photo is backwards isn’t it??)

2P7230004

  • Lay the folded bow atop the pre cut ribbon strip (appx. 3/4” longer than your card)

4P7230006

  • Slip the threaded button around the bow and ribbon strip

 

5P7230011

  • And cinch it down, securing with a postman’s knot (wrap the thread around twice and pull to secure… repeat) and now you’re ready to attach it to your card!

7P7230017

Have you got all your Christmas and Holiday Cards made yet?  If not, now is a great time to get those supplies!  Now that the kids are headed back to school, you will have time to relax, stamp and create your own fabulous hand made cards too!  The Calendar tab has been updated with a bunch of new classes and events.. please contact me if you have any questions!  Or simply order your card making supplies online and have them delivered right to your door!  Visit My Online Stampin Up Store today to place your order!

Later this evening, I’ll be announcing the blog candy winner from the 7/29 post… make sure you’re in it if you want to win!Tomorrow I’m sharing a really fun Christmas Card, hope you’ll stop back by and say hi!

Hugs,

Sharon

 

 

 

Pin It!

13 comments:

Lori Burkitt said...

Oh, Sharon! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I've been trying to figure this out forever. Truly, thanks for sharing!

Shari Winterstein said...

Great tutorial! And I love the cards as well. I was going to pick a favorite - but they are all great. Thanks for blessing my "June Gloom" morning. It looks like we are going to get a Wisconsin thunderstorm here in sunny southern California! LOL

mmwilken said...

I can't thank you enough with your button tie on ribbon!! I wondered like Lori how that was done, but didn't know how!! Thanks so very much! Now I can use that!!

nana_cindy42 said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! It's so simple when explained step by step! I love the 1st card with all the layers, buttons, & the sash ribbon. Altho I DO like all of them!

Jean Fitch from jlfstudio said...

Super idea Sharon. Thanks so much for sharing the details with pictures.

Ms said...

what a wonderful tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing how to make them. I loved the tying the button on. You are such a creative lady....

lisa808 said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Your bows looks so pretty. You make it look easy, but I think I need a couple more hands!

Sandi said...

Wow, count me in for the "thank you." Love your ribbon tying techniques and your tutorial is awesome. Now I have to go make about 20 of them so I have it down in my brain!!
Hugs,
Sandi Dailey
gdailey@concentric.net

Donna said...

Thanks for always sharing new tips and ideas for how to create prettier, more interesting card projects! This is awesome!

Christa said...

Thank you Sharon for your nice comments. Time flies and I'm so sorry to give you a response this late. I loved your cards too and this one in particular. It just looks like the handmade papers with the realflowers in it. So lovely!

elayne said...

Congrats on your postings!!!
I love all your cards, sure wish you lived closer I'd die to take your classes.

cinmfoster said...

Beautiful card, thanks for the tutorial.

inkedx2 said...

Love these cards. Thanks for the tutorial on the button bow!

Robbie