Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Introducing the Brayer – Fabulous Tool and Class for You!!

I finally pulled it all together and decided to offer my very first ever introductory brayer classes!  If you haven’t tried it, you really should… and an introductory class is the best way to learn to do it the right way!  In the introductory classes, students create three simple brayer technique cards, each showcasing a unique way to use the brayer and achieve fabulous results.

The classes will be offered again, here in Jacksonville, Florida again next month… be sure to sign up early to reserve your spot!

Today’s cards both use the brayer technique… and were inspired by an embossed card by Alecia Thelin in the July/August 2010 Issue of Crafts Magazine (page 52).  In the original card, the tree image was embossed and then sponged with ink, and a verse was embossed atop the image… but other than adding a bow, that’s where the similarities end (yet respectfully giving credit where credit is due)!

Createdbyu.blogspot.com/Sharon Field

For this card, I used the glossy ghost technique, and then used a brayer to add wild wasabi and bashful blue ink over the image.  The quote is from the Occasional Quotes Hostess Set in the new 2010/11 Idea Book and Catalog… one of my very favorite hostess sets this year!  Stamped with Chocolate Chip Craft Ink, and heat embossed with Clear Embossing Powder, the words really stand out and pop from the card (literally and figuratively).  I didn’t have any wild wasabi ribbon on hand when I first made this card so I simply dyed 5/8” very vanilla taffeta ribbon to match, and attached it with two or three mini glue dots to ensure it would stay perfectly placed.

Here’s another card I made… with more of a masculine ‘feel’ but the using the same images an concept:

Sharon Field http://createdbyu.blogspot.com

Ha ha.. it wasn’t exactly easy getting that narrow taffeta ribbon through the holes in the button… but I did it!!   (You just have to be patient, cut the ribbon on an angle and use a paper piercing tool to coax the ribbon through the holes :)

Stampin’ Up! Stamping Supplies used for both cards:

Stamps:  Lovely As A Tree, Occasional Quotes, Water Color Trio

Inks:  Bashful Blue, Marina Mist & Wild Wasabi Classic Inks; Chocolate Chip Craft Ink; Versa Mark Ink

Cardstock:  Very Vanilla, Early Espresso, Marina Mist

Accessories:  Clear EP, Heat Tool, Paper Piercing Tool, Mat Pack, Early Espresso Stampin’ Write Marker, Narrow Taffeta Ribbon, Neutral Buttons, Mini Glue Dots, brayer, stampin’ sponges, post it notes

Stampin’ Up! Exclusive Sizzix Items:  Vintage Vogue Textured Embossing Folder

Now for my trick question… ONE of these cards was featured in the introductory brayer class taught last week… which one do you think was included (no fair if you were in the class or had lunch with me the day of the class :)

I’ve got two more cards to share from that class… do you want to see them too?

This week I’ll be working on upcoming scrapbooking and quilting with the Big Shot Classes… be sure to check my calendar for classes and sign up early, most classes are offered during the week, on weekends and evenings too!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

3 comments:

jimlynn said...

Both are just so pretty. Actually either one of them could have been featured because they are both lovely. I lean more toward the first one. Just love those colors. I just got my brayer last week and will be "trying my hand" at it soon. I know I'll be referring back to your blog alot in regard to that as your cards are just awesome using this.
Lynn

cinmfoster said...

Beautiful cards, have not tried this before. Thanks for sharing

Firenze said...

Oh so pretty. Your brayering technique is wonderful. TFS these lovely cards.
Helen -- Firenze Cards