Saturday, May 22, 2010

Butterflies in Flight… Blue Skies A Tutorial from CreatedByU

All A Flutter is quickly becoming one of my favorite stamp sets from the Summer Mini Catalog.  In today’s tutorial, I’m showing you a simple way to color your butterflies and achieve a bright, bold and colorful look!

blyclosecbyu510

They look like they just landed on the cardstock don’t they?  Scroll to the bottom to see the complete and finished card.

Once again, I am embossing on Vellum Cardstock, leaving a generous amount of space between each image.  I used Black Embossing Powder to get the crisp black lines in the image to POP.  Right now, you’re saying.. yeah, and then you colored them, right?  WRONG… It was actually even easier than coloring on vellum! 

I wanted strong, vibrant colors for my butterflies so…. After embossing, I flipped the Vellum card stock over, and using my Tombow Multi Adhesive, covered the butterfly with glue, except for the antennae.  Note:  the image below is only 1/2 covered with the Tombow Multi Adhesive.bflyhalftombowcbyu510

Next, I took scraps of New In-Color Card Stock Daffodil Delight, Marina Mist, and older in-color card stock Tangerine Tango… and placed them firmly on top of the Tombow Multi covered butterfly image. P5200030

Press firmly with your hand to prevent the Vellum Card Stock from rippling… the warmth from your hands will also help the glue dry more quickly.

Here’s what the butterflies looked like before I cut them out with my paper snips…  The one on the top right is not quite dry yet!

P5200032

After snipping out the butterflies (very closely to the embossed edge), simple white accents were added with a White Signo Gel Pen. 

I decided the butterflies really needed a soft blue sky to flit through… so I tore a piece of scrap cardstock vellum and sponged white clouds into the Bashful Blue Cardstock.  (I used vellum just because that was what happened to be on the table.)

P5200037

And then embossed with Clear Embossing Powder.  I did NOT use the embossing buddy as I wanted the texture and effect created when the clear EP stuck to the cardstock even where there was no ink… giving it a deeper blue coloration.

After embossing “Kind Thanks” (from the Thank You Kindly Stamp Set) with white EP, the butterflies were mounted onto the blue and white sponged sky with Stampin’ Dimensionals.

Here is the finished card… what do you think? 

P5200050
Later today, I’ll announce my blog candy winner for the butterfly card posted on May 18th. 

Tomorrow I am sharing a special collaborative project my friend Tee & I made during our Friday “play date.”  It’s not like anything you’ve ever seen before on my blog, so I hope you’ll like it too…

Hugs,

Pin It!

18 comments:

elaine said...

Your butterflies are beautiful, thanks for sharing another great way to "color" them! I love the sky too. Great card!

stampingmadly said...

Great technique, Sharon. Your butterflies and sky are lovely.

Shari Winterstein said...

What a GREAT idea to color the backs of vellum images. This card is gorgeous. I'm a butterfly lover myself and don't use the ones I have, but with this new way to color I better get them out. Hmmmm - I wonder what they would look like with bright colored DSP? Thanks for blessing my day. :)

Kerin said...

LOVE this technique!! Thanks so much for sharing, I'm definitely going to give this a try!

Martha Lucia Gomez said...

Sharon, I can't decide which is most beautiful. I loved your creacions. Me encanta como compartes todo lo que haces. Gracias por estar siempre al lado nuestro!!! Un abrazo,
Martha Lucia Gomez
http://stampartpapel.blogspot.com

Patrice said...

Hi Sharon, How did you get the white to show through on the butterflies? Love the card lay out idea and the sky.

Anonymous said...

I love the butterflies. It looks as though you have used white gel pen or something on the outline of the butterflies. Is that what you did or is it just the photo? I am going to try this today.

Sharon Field / Created By You said...

Hello everyone... sorry for the missing step.. as some of you have guessed.. the white on the wings was added with a White Signo Gel Pen... dotting along the outer edge of the butterfly, and also a few accents on the upper wing. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.. it has now been rectified! Hugs from CreatedByU

craftystamper said...

Love, love, love the butterflies. This has got to be my favourite stamp of the year. I'm certainly going to be making some more butterflies ---as my friend would say---again!!!!

Carey said...

Loving them girl.
Carey Rogers
aka Roscoe's mommy

Jean said...

Really pretty butterflies. Wouldn't mind trying this myself.

Jean

lisa808 said...

Sharon, your butterflies are beautiful. Thanks for the new technique idea. Also, love the sky.

Ret said...

Hi Sharon, you've done it AGAIN!!! Another card that I love! Your butterflies are marvelous & beautiful! I am going to have to try out your tutorial. As I always tell you...
you're just sooooooooo AWESOME!!!
hugs,
Ret

Laurie Gibson said...

Oh my gosh, Sharon, I LOVE this card. I have been trying to come up with an idea for something using this stamp and now I have one!! Thanks so much for sharing this.

Jane said...

Sharon, what a great idea to "color" with crdstock! And thank you for sharing your idea with us!

Anonymous said...

These butterflies are so pretty!! Thanks for the great tutorial, I'm going to try this today!
Stamping Hugs,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful card. You are most generous in giving us the tutorial.

nana_cindy42 said...

Love butterflies, Love these!!!