Saturday, April 3, 2010

Tutorial: Capture the Waves… Brayered and Sponging Surfer

You asked for it… and I finally had time to dedicate to recreating the Brayered and Sponged Surfer Card which I posted back on March 13th HERE.
March 2010 080
The good news is… this card was as much fun to create the second time as it was the first!  I hope you’ll try the technique, and enjoy it as much as I have!  And, I have to thank my wonderful teacher (again)… Michelle Zindorf.. you rock!!
Supplies -complete list at end of tutorial…
swaps 058
First things first, you will want to protect your work surface with a pad (or couple sheets) of grid paper!
Next, load up your brayer with Barely Banana Classic Ink.  Beginning OFF the cardstock, quickly brayer across the corner towards the middle diagonal of the card stock.  Repeat until desired depth of color has been achieved.
swaps 005
Ink up your brayer with Apricot Appeal Ink and repeat the corner to diagonal brayer process.  Do this only ONCE.
Next, use 1/8 of a stampin’ sponge and ink with Apricot Appeal Classic Ink.  Gently pounce the inked corner to add color.  Use a circular motion to create a sun-like image.
swaps 012 Continue pouncing and sponging, adding color along the cardstock edges closest to the brayered corner.
Now, take two layers of post-it notes, and form a diagonal from the center of the brayered, across the card stock. swaps 013
Ink up a fresh 1/8 piece of sponge with Bashful Blue Classic Ink, and gently scrub across the edge of the post it note.  (Lift the post it note and peek to make sure the color is what you want before completely removing the post it note.)
swaps 014
Repeat this process to add additional diagonal rays of color.  This picture shows two rays.. but I actually added three.
swaps 022
Take two fresh post it notes (leave them stuck together) and tear a jagged edge along the sticky edge of the note.  Turn your work sideways, and attach the post it note so that the brayered part is protected.
swaps 024 Ink up your sponge with Bashful Blue Classic Ink, and lightly scrub across the torn edge to add color. Then move post it note UP approximately 1/8” and scrub sponge inked with Not Quite Navy Classic Ink across the jagged edge.  This will form your horizon line. swaps 028
Working in the other direction, you will now move the post it note DOWN, approximately 1/8” to 1/4” at a time and sponge with Bashful Blue Classic Ink.  Move the jagged edge right and left, and sometimes angle it to give your surf an uneven and realistic appearance.
swaps 029
Now you will repeat this process several times alternating Bashful Blue Classic Ink, Not Quite Navy Classic Ink, and occasionally Tempting Turquoise.  Each time you will vary the positioning of the post it notes, ink wider lines, aligning on an angle, and/or leave gaps of white (caps) between the inked lines.
swaps 030
Repeat this process until the entire lower half 003of the card stock is filled with your waves.
swaps 039 Ink the sponge with Not Quite Navy Classic Ink, and pounce, rub a splash of water on the upper right edge.
swaps 040
Ink the Extreme Surfboard Image with Basic Black Classic Ink, and add to upper right corner of card stock, and then use a Signo White Gel Pen to add random splashes to the water surrounding the surfer image.
swaps 044
Note:  if your surfer image is not as dark as you would like, use a re-inker (or the lid of your basic black classic ink pad) an an aqua painter to fill in the missing or lighter areas.)
Use a sponge or sponge dauber to darken the edges of the card stock with basic black classic ink.  And next, you will simply add glue to the white areas of the waves, and sprinkle with dazzling diamonds!swaps 055
Assemble with coordinating card stock colors, and you’ll have a beautiful one of a kind card!
March 2010 081Hope you enjoyed my tutorial, and I’d love to see your creations too!  I will be teaching this card during techniques classes in April, hope you’ll join us.  Check out my Stampin’ Up! Events Calendar Here for more information
Stampin’ Supplies Used on Today’s Card:
Stamps:  Extreme Surfboard #115173 $8.95
Classic Inks@ $5.95 each: 
  • Not Quite Navy #103008
  • Bashful Blue #105209
  • Tempting Turquoise #100814
  • Barely Banana #101170
  • Apricot Appeal #105218
Accessories:
  • Brayer (soft rubber) #102395 $12.50
  • Stamping Sponges #101610 3qty $3.95
  • 2-Way Glue Pen #100425 $3.50
  • Dazzling Diamonds #102023 $4.50
  • Whisper White Card Stock #100730 40sheets $7.50
  • Grid Paper #102787 (100 sheets) $9.95
  • White Signo Gel Pen @105021 $3.95
  • Post-It Notes
Hope to see you back here tomorrow for… Woo Hoo!!  BLOG CANDY!!!  I’m giving away a special stamp set to thank my followers, friends, and those who leave sweet comments on my blog!
Hugs,
Pin It!

31 comments:

Karen said...

Excellent. Thanks for sharing!

Brenda Marshall said...

This is brilliant, thanks for sharing!

Karten-Stempel-Chaos by Inge said...

Great card and a brilliant tutorial, thanks for sharing.
Greetings from germany
Inge

Phyllis said...

I took Michelle's class in Mechanicsville and she is awesome. I absolutely love your card!! Thanks so much for sharing it!!!!

Lynn Mercurio said...

Fantastic Sharon...thank you for sharing your technique with us!

Angela Teagle said...

Oh My Gosh! I love it! Beautiful Job. You never let me down! Thanks for the recipe for the Breakfast Cookies! I can't wait to make them! Your the Bomb!

lisa808 said...

Sharon, thanks for posting the tutorial. This card is amazing!

jmniffer said...

Thanks for taking the time to create this tutorial. It is wonderful and so is the card!

Donna Bagwell said...

Sharon,
Thank you for this awesome tutorial! When I first saw your surfer card I couldn't imagine how you did it, but your tutorial explains it so well - and makes it look so easy. I'd love to take the brayer class, but so far every class that is even remotely close to me is full. Bummer.

jimlynn said...

Gorgeous! These look like real waves. So pretty. Thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Card and a great tutorial!

Karen said...

That is a beautiful card. Thank you for sharing the tutorial as well.

Kathie McGuire said...

Sharon~I have loved this card since the first time I saw your post back in the beginning of March. I read every word of your tutorial and I have to tell you that you've done a GREAT job explaining every single stop of the technique. Thank you for taking the time to do this!Can't wait to make one of my own.

Janet Cromwell said...

Your directions are so clear and helpful! Thank you!

Yvonne Metz said...

Wow Lady! Absolutely Awesome! LOVE this tutorial and of course the card too! Ah yes I see the tiara! Can't wait to try this out. Just waitin for my Surfer Dude! LOL! You know I had to get it since I saw you card! ; ) Happy Easter my friend and thanks for sharing!

Patti C said...

You learned your lessons well. The effects and colors are great. You made the tutorial easy to understand. Thanks.

kimberly said...

this is amazing - I have a friend who has 2 daughters on the swim team - I can see this technique getting added to a TON of scrapbook pages! Thanks so much for sharing - I will be test driving this soon so I can teach it to my friend!
:)

Angie said...

WOW! This is one cool card! TFS!

Tessa said...

Thanks for sharing your card and how you got the beautiful coloring! I love the 'Zindorf' technique - as I've dubbed it!! :)

gale said...

This is fabulous. I don't have that stamp but I might just have to buy it to make one of these!

Donna said...

Great tutorial, Sharon! Your card is fabulous! Thanks for sharing your talent!

sandy said...

Sharon, I love ready your blog. As a new demonstrator(and I do mean new) and new member of JacksonvilleStarz , I am so inspired by all of you wonderful ladies. I love your brayer technique. I will be trying this. Thank you so much for all that you share. Sandy

yvesrising said...

Great card! Thanks so much for sharing!

Danielle Daws said...

Thankyou so much for this tutorial! I have to admit that my brayer scares me! I've been trying to find a tutorial like this for a while, so THANKYOU!!

Shari Winterstein said...

Congratulations on being featured on LNS Blog Finds of the Day! Woohoo - my mentor! :))))) This is a great tutorial and easy to follow. After I'm done with the 150 cards I'm making, I just might try this! Thanks for blessing my day and my blog life! :)

e_donaldson said...

WOW! This is truly a gorgeous card! I own the surfer stamp, but haven't figured out how to use it yet. I just LOVE what you did and am going to have to try it. TFS!

- Elizabeth (missimagination.com)

Mary Davidson said...

This card is absolutely fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing the process! I love it! I'm going to give this a try.

Patrice said...

What a fun card, the colors, stamp set and the imaging. I love the tutorial too. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! I am really impressed with the way the waves and water look. That is such a hard thing to capture, and you have done it beautifully. thanks for sharing your technique.
Elaine E

Cynthia said...

Cannot wait to try this! Especially now that we're into summer. This will be very handy. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tutorial and a beautiful card! I would never have thought of the wave technique. Lila