Saturday, April 17, 2010

So You Want To Be a Rock Star… A Brayer Tutorial for You!

Every teen’s dream… how many of you owned a guitar, a set of drums, keyboards or other musical instruments?  I was basically self taught as a guitarist, and later in life took finger picking lessons… something I really enjoyed.  Unfortunately, arthritis has limited my guitar playing (and hand quilting) these days… but I can still stamp!!!  Here’s the finished card for today’s tutorial!

RockStarCBYU

First, take two rectangular post it notes and line them up so they extend (long sides together) diagonally across your cardstock as shown in the picture below.  I used lined post it notes because that’s what I had on hand, and because they seem to be a little thicker.  If you’re using regular post it notes, or generic ones, you may want to double them up (that’s a tip from my teacher Michelle Zindorf.)

rockstar2 Ink up a wedge of sponge with Not Quite Navy ink… (I pounce it off several times onto my grid paper to achieve a lighter shade.)  Lightly scrub across the edge of the post it notes to form a diagonal ray of light navy ink.

rockstar3 Repeat the process for the other diagonal, down the middle of the card (height and length), and then split the sections… Your card will now have 7 intersecting diagonals.

Ink up your brayer the width of your pad, and quickly brayer along the short side towards the center three times.  .  Repeat for the other short edge of the card.  Your card will now look like this:

0410photoscbyu 196

I could easily have stamped the Extreme Guitar image in the center and put the card together at this point… but no…….  I stamped the center image with basic black and then….

Punched a wide oval from scrap cardstock to make a mask around the feet of the image…. ink up a sponge dauber and add soft suede ink around the parameter of the oval cut out, leaving the center lighter just like when you stencil on your walls (or cards).

0410photoscbyu 200

Repeat the process with Chocolate Chip ink… darkening only the edges to give it some shape and depth.

0410photoscbyu 201

Remove the mask and look at what you now have… is it a Rock Star standing on a drum??

0410photoscbyu 202

Kind of looked lonely and little… so I decided to add two more ovals…  first with soft suede ink…

 0410photoscbyu 204

And then with the darker value, Chocolate Chip Ink focusing on the outer edges (the new Espresso Ink would have been great for this too… I just got my cardstock in the mail!!!)

0410photoscbyu 205

I took a peek and decided to close up that white area a bit too…

0410photoscbyu 208 

Repeat for the other side… dropping the oval a bit below the cardstock edge.

rockstar4

Hmm… still a little flat… so I decided to add some dimension by dropping the oval punched stencil just below the center stage oval and ink it again with soft suede ink and your sponge dauber.

rockstar5

Repeat for the other two side stages (or drums).

Define the edges with a Basic Black Stampin’ Write marker, and add some white gel pen to emphasize the round-ness…  CAN YOU BELIEVE… I forgot to take a picture of that??? I was so excited about being ‘done’… here is a close up of the finished results!

 

Note to self:  don’t do THAT again!!

rockstar6

I first purchased the Extreme Guitar stamp set because I have a nephew who is a guitar genius.  I made a couple cards with the stamp… they were ok… not what I was hoping to achieve.  Once I took beginner and advanced brayer classes from the brayer queen “Michelle Zindorf”  I had a new vision and appreciation for this solid image stamp! 

Hope you enjoyed today’s card and tutorial, I’d love to read your comments… and see your finished brayer cards too!

Hugs,

Technorati Tags: ,,
Pin It!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Love it! I just gave you a Sunshine Award, so come over and see! http://andreasscraps.com

Elizabeth said...

What a fantastic card! Your brayering is wonderful!

Hugs!

ArtisticInkspirations said...

Love, love love the sponging tutorial!! Will def. have to try that. Got to get my boat in gear and do something fabulous like you do all the time!!

lisa808 said...

Awesome!!! I so need to take the advanced class. Thanks for another great brayer tutorial.

Lori Watson said...

WOW I need to get my brayer out!! Hugs and happy stamping Lori