Friday, April 2, 2010

An ode to Paula Amari, and A Centuries Old Technique: Metal Embossing with Rubber Stamps!

I’ve been stamping for just about 20 years… and am always eager to learn from other creative and talented stampers.  Paula Amari was one of those people who reeked of talent!  She was the owner of the LSS in St. Mary’s Georgia and also the co-creator of the Creative Palette Convention.  Sadly, Paula passed away on Feb.23rd of this year.  I’m sure she will be greatly missed by those who knew her casually or well!

As a loyal attendee of the Creative Palette Convention, I booked reservations and classes at the earliest possible dates, and looked forward to my personal creative emersion retreat! 

Today’s share is Repousse Art made in one of those classes several years ago!

swaps 004

Isn’t this fun?  Not to be confused with faux metal, metal embossing with rubber stamps is a totally different technique!  Repousse (aka repoussage in french or repujado in the spanish language) requires a few simple tools, stumps, stazon ink, and mat.

I first played around with this technique when I was a dedicated Girl Scout Leader.  It was fun, our efforts were rather crude. 

Basically, the image is stamped onto the back side of a metal sheet with stazon ink.  A repousse mat and metal stylus is used to trace the image creating an embossed impression.  Additional metal tools and stumps help to stretch and transform the image.  It’s really a very fun and relaxing stamping and metal working technique.  Here’s a close up of the focal image:

swaps 003 Be sure to check back tomorrow… I’ve got a special weekend surprise which I hope you’ll enjoy!

Hugs,

Pin It!

3 comments:

Shari Winterstein said...

WOW - that's amazing. Thanks for sharing and for blessing my day! :)

Donna said...

Sharon, once again you dazzle the eye! This is a fantastic project! Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us!

Sharon Field / Created By You said...

Gosh, I so loved learning at the convention.. and Paula was a wonderful and warm inspiration to all! Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I hope I can inspire you to create art too!