Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Mothers’ Day Card for My Son!

Today’s card features the FREE Stampin’ Up! Sale-A-Bration stamp set Good Neighbors, and the Occasions Mini Catalog stamp set Well Scripted and was inspired by a Leadership swap received from Teresa Worrall in January this year!

Teresa’s original card used the scallop circle punch and featured a row of 3 houses and two trees lined up along a roadside, with a heart in the middle of the road and mounted on Soft Suede Card Stock.

Are you ready?  Here is my version:

voila cookbook 013 I wanted to C.A.S.E. Teresa’s idea, yet somehow make it my very own… so I added a bashful blue sky (card base), grassy areas on either side of the street, and LOTS of trees.  I also popped up the trees, and clouds , and instead of placing a small heart on the card, added a popped up heart greeting and another popped up small heart to the greeting.

I think it must have been a windy day, my trees are leaning a little bit :)  The popped up clouds and trees add a little dimension… and they also serve to hide boo boo’s… if you stamp it kind of strangely, it simply becomes a ‘creative opportunity’ to add dimension to your card by popping up a new tree image!

Here’s a close up of the heart on heart pop up:

voila cookbook 075

I love working with beginner stampers!  It is so much fun to help them discover creative opportunities in stamping!  You will often hear me state “there are no mistakes, just creative opportunities” as we find a creative way to append an imperfection or opportunity.  My friends have heard me say it so often, they now say it before I do at stamping events!

Now… why did I call this a Mothers’ Day Card for my Son?  Well, first of all I hate making Mothers’ Day cards… psycho thing.. since my own Mother passed away.  But, I thought this card was a perfect hint to send to our DS… who does not call or email us nearly enough!  Of course, being a hint, it’s not blatant enough, he probably wouldn’t get the message… brilliant soul and genius that he is, subtle hints often go un-noticed.

Think about it… wandering soul, doesn’t call home often enough, currently stationed in Iraq.  Do you think he’d get the hint to visit, email, or call?  Probably not.

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Pin It!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Love your card and your take on the card.

Tory said...

Cute card. I have a son like that, too. Luckily he only lives in Seatle!