Saturday, November 14, 2009

Santa’s Magic Key Ornament & Card WOW!

When our children were small, they had a MILLION questions about everything, and at Christmas, about Santa.. how he would enter the house, what if there was a fire in the fireplace.. it went on and on… And then one day I came across a “magic key”.  Magically, the Santa Key helped make all their childish dreams came true.  Magically, Santa had a way to enter our house safely, and the magic of Christmas was a dream come true. 

As a family, we had many Christmas traditions… within our tiny nucleus, we celebrated quietly.. and created our own ‘family’ traditions.. Volunteering, Church, offerings to the Baby Jesus, and gifting unfortunate or unfortunate children through the Salvation Army Giving Tree.  All memories which our children cherish and participate in to-date as adults. 

The magic of Christmas was special... giving of yourself, doing for others, and Santa fit right in with that plan… magical, Christian, and loving… mirroring and complimenting our family traditions all the way.  Children simply hung the key (now ornament) on the front door knob on Christmas Eve.  Santa could easily access the house and bring gifts.. large or small.. and simply leave behind the simple ornament on the tree! 

I still plan to do a bit more embellishing to my version of the Santa Key.. but can you see their eyes in the morning, looking at the tree to see if Santa really brought the ornament back, and used the tree?  Hmmm..

My kids of course are grown now… one in Germany, one in Iraq… and when I was trying to come up with something ‘special’ for the Christmas showcase Boutique, I just had to revisit the Magic of the Santa Key!

I have to tell you I searched for MONTHS for keys to incorporate into this card/theme… even online… and then one day just stumbled upon them while looking for unique beads at the local beadery.  The keys came in three sizes.. but not to worry, all worked well in this ornament card.  I hope my ornament cards find a lovely home with some imaginative, loving, and giving families.  Psst… I might have to keep one for myself too!

Don’t forget we are working on a BIG BLOG CANDY give-away!!  I hope you’re leaving lovely comments daily.. only ONE winner will be chosen!  See details on my BLOG CANDY post 11/11/09!

More Christmas Showcase Boutique Item shares tomorrow.. hope to see you then!!

Edited 11/15/09 to include verbiage for poem as requested by readers:)

Santa's Magic Key
This key is very special, you see.
It will not work for you or me...
Hang is just outside your door.
And go to sleep, worry no more...
Close your eyes and close them tight.
'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight!

Pin It!

21 comments:

Ellen Kemper said...

LOVE this key to ornament idea! Too bad my girls are long past that stage and we are still (hopefully) years away from grandkids. But this is so good I'll store it in the memory bank and pull it out when needed.

Awesome idea!

jmniffer said...

Thanks for sharing your tradition of the Christmas key. I will keep that one in mind for future questions.

Trish said...

I had never heard of the "Secret Key". That is one special story, one to treasure. I am going to relay it to my daughter to has a 3 year old son who is just full of the "why" questions right now. This is such a happy story. Thanks for sharing. Have yourself a happy stamping day!

Trish in Wisconsin

Anonymous said...

What an adorable idea!!! Reminds me of the "Santa Mouse" thing we used to do when we were little where we left Santa some milk and cookies, and also Santa Mouse some cheese, and in return Santa Mouse left us a little goodie hidden somewhere in the tree! If we woke up earlier than our parents, we were allowed to open the Santa Mouse gift when we found it, but had to wait for everyone to awaken before opening the gifts under the tree that Santa brought.

Sharon Field / Created By You said...

Here you go Debbie... also edited the original post to include the poem... so you'll be able to find it right away!

Santa's Magic Key
This key is very special, you see.
It will not work for you or me...
Hang is just outside your door.
And go to sleep, worry no more...
Close your eyes and close them tight.
'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight!

Terry Molineux said...

Sharon

What an awesome idea. My children are older now and wouldn't need it but I am saving this to my favorites and maybe make it for the kids at the library class I am doing on Dec 5th and 7th as a thank you to their parents.

lisa808 said...

Thank you for sharing your story and wonderful idea.

megsmome said...

Great job! I love it. I will have to make some for my little great neices and nephews. They will love it. Thanks for sharing your amazing creativity with us.

Tammy

carolm said...

sharon, this key idea is adorable. i wish my kids were littler. i'm going to share it with some friends though who have little children.

thanx for sharing.

xoxo

Nicole Tugrul said...

I LOVE this idea!!!!!!!!My kids are 4 and 4 months..I will definitely be doing this!
nicoletugrul@yahoo.com

Sue from Oregon said...

So very cute!!!

Rosie said...

Very cute... I love the key idea and Santa visiting! We all need Santa in our life no matter how old we are! =)

Susan Mac Donald said...

what a marvelous idea, for young & old! TFS!!

Debbie Flattum said...

I have never seen this before. I LOVE it!! It kinda brings out the kid in all of us. Thanks for sharing.

Ret said...

Hiya Sharon, I love this idea!! It's wonderful, a card, an ornament and a kids surprise all in one! Awesome, Sharon!! I would think this would be really popular at the craft shows!!
Cute idea!!

Jean from jlfstudio said...

Very cute idea Sharon. And what a fun family tradition. Thanks for sharing the text too!

Sherry said...

What a great idea.. a nice way to show that Santa exists for the kid in all of us..and a fun tradition to pass on to our little ones! TFS!

Denise Pitzen said...

Love the ornament & will have to case several for the kids in my life. Thanks for all the great ideas.
Denise
denisepitzen@hotmail.com

Ret said...

I thought of something here....if you ever have trouble coming up with some keys...stamp onto shrink plastic...I think that would come out really awesome, and you would have your own truly handmade keys!
what 'cha think?

jeannen2 said...

I love the poem! So sweet! The key is adorable too! Isn't it funny where we end up finding what we're looking for?!

nana_cindy42 said...

What an inventive idea!!! Wish I had thought of it when my daughter was small. I'll make it for my great-granddaughter!!!