Friday, October 30, 2009

Yummy Recipe – Beef, Wild Rice, and Portabella Mushroom Soup

Cooler weather, hot soup and crusty bread… YUM!  I made this soup last week for dinner, my DH loves soup… and when he came home from work was greeted with the delightful housewarming aroma.  There wasn’t a drop left!  You’ll want to double the recipe, and perhaps serve with Alexia Crusty Rosemary & Olive Oil Ciabatta Rolls (found in the freezer section).  YUM!
This soup recipe was published in the November/December 2008 “Cooking with Paula Deen”.  I found the old issue of the magazine at my hairdressers’ and was delighted when the manager told me I could take it home!  I’ve tweaked it a bit to make it my very own.. Yummy, yummy winter soup!
Beef, Wild Rice, and Portabella Mushroom Soup -  Makes 6 servings
Ingredients:
  • 1 TBSP butter
  • 2 TBSP Light Olive Oil
  • 1 lb. tender Beef, cut in 1/2” cubes
  • 1/4 Cup all-purpose four
  • 1 Cup diced yellow onion
  • 1/2 Cup diced celery
  • 1/2 Cup diced carrots
  • 1 1/2 TBSP minced garlic
  • 1tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1 package (8 oz) Portabella Mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 TBSP. sherry
  • 1/2 Cup Dry Red Wine
  • D
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 (2.75 oz) quick cooking wild rice (NOT Uncle Ben’s – too mushy)
  • 1 (32oz.) box beef stock (or home-made)
Preparation
  1. Dredge beef cubes in flour
  2. Melt butter and olive oil in a deep pot over medium high heat
  3. Brown beef cubes (appx. 5 minutes), remove from pan and set aside.
  4. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to pan.. cook until soft, appx. 5 minutes
  5. Add mushrooms, sherry, red wine, pepper and stir to release brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
  6. Add rice, broth, thyme, rosemary, and beef.  Cover and cook 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
  7. Serve with hot crusty Alexia Rosemary & Olive Oil rolls.. YUM!

I recently updated my November schedule of classes and events… lots of pre-holiday fun!  Be sure to watch for my hostess thank you party in early December too!. 
This week and next, I am busily working on craft fair items… paper crafts, cards, and jewelry items too!  So much to do, so little time!
See you tomorrow!
** Edited:  I made this recipe again this evening, and realized I left out two flavorful ingredients which I added when ‘tweaking’ this recipe… Red Wine and Rosemary!! ALSO.. had to fix 12 cups of carrots.. should have read ONE HALF CUP CARROTS!! (Thanks Teri!) The recipe is now corrected!**
Pin It!

3 comments:

Teri said...

wondering if you really mean 12 cups of carrots or just 1/2 cup. Seems like a LOT of carrots to me!

Sharon Field / Created By You said...

Gosh, you are absolutely correct Terri! Thanks so much for pointing that out.. the recipe has been corrected AGAIN... must have been a very bad day!
--Sharon

Sherry said...

...sounds yummy!! Thank goodness you remembered the Red Wine!! *wink*wink* I can't have the crusty bread as I'm allergic to flour.. I KNOW! .. I'm missing all the good stuff! This soup is going on my list of recipes to try! TFS!