Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sending Worm Wishes Your Way… one card two ways and a few TIPS for YOU!

While prepping for last weekends’ stamp camp “Quick N Easy” Summer Cards, I realized that I had too many steps in my first draft card… and went back to the drawing board to simplify the card I had just created!  The theme of the camp, after all was “Quick N Simple”… not a lot of layers, not too complicated; just fresh and fun.

This is the card we ended up making in camp… using a lot of colored classic ink.  Scroll down to see the original card.

wormwishesremake0609cbyu

Whisper White Card Stock:  5 1/2” x 8 1/2” scored at 4 1/4”

Certainly Celery Card Stock:  1 3/4” x 5 1/2”, stamped with versamark and the large grassy background stamp from the Inspired by Nature Stamp Set… and then three ants from Bugs N Kisses in basic black.

TIP:  I tie my bows/knots around my ring finger all the time in camps… don’t even think about what I’m doing.. just pull out the ribbon, loop it around one or two fingers, and tie a knot.  When I slip the ribbon loop from my finger, I then cut the center of the loop on a diagonal… to form the bow!

TIP:  Stampin’ Up! Mini Glue Dots are perfect for adhering bows and ribbon… especially narrow ribbons.  Narrow ribbon often seems to stretch or grow after attaching to a card.. why?  I don’t have a clue… but to work around the problem, I put a glue dot behind the bow, one on each end of the card stock piece (on top of the cardstock at the edges), and one on each end of the ribbon.  I attach the bow to the center of the card, then the ribbon to the two glue dots at either edge of the card, and finally wrap the ends around to the back of the card to stick them down.

TIP:  When working with an assortment of images, begin stamping with the largest ones… and then fill in the blanks with the smaller images.  On this card I stamped the caterpillar with old olive classic ink, the worm in More Mustard Classic Ink, and the snail in Creamy Caramel Classic Ink.  It was easy to fill in with the tiny lady bugs in Real Red Classic Ink. 

TIP:  When using solid image stamps, rub or scrub them across the surface ink pad, and then tap three times to properly ink the image.  TURN IT OVER to see if there really is ink all over the image… the ink will appear wet… dry spots indicate that ink is missing.  When in doubt, practice on grid paper or scratch paper to see that you have inked the image… then re-ink and stamp on your card base.

TIP:  If you have somehow “missed” an area when stamping with your solid image stamps, you can squeeze your closed classic ink pad so that the lid touches the surface of the pad.  After opening the pad, use the ink in the lid and an Aquapainter to fill in the missing image areas.

Want to see the original card?  I showed it to my stamper campers, and most were quite happy they didn’t have to make this card… preferring the simpler one (which is what I promised them… quick n easy).

wormcbyuwishes_upgrade0609 

I still like this one better!!  I punched out the spots on the lady bugs… the black background showed through to fill in the spots… kind of fun!

See you tomorrow with the card that was the BIGGEST hit of the Quick N Easy Stamp Camp!

Sharon

Pin It!

1 comment:

ArtisticInkspirations said...

Have to make one of these Sharon for my Granddaughter!! She lives in the Smokies and they are always collecting BUGS and butterflies!! It's really, really cute!! TFS! Connie in NM