Tuesday, April 21, 2009

When Pigs Fly… Oh NO… It was a BEAR

At one last years’ Stampin’ Up! Convention, the creative director (Brent Steele) made the cutest card on the big screen.  It featured a bear wildly flapping his wings, flying high in the sky, with his fellow bears looking on in amazement.  That day, I knew I had to own the “Under the Stars” stamp (#111556 / set of 10 stamps / $29.95)… it’s been on my list of “must haves” for quite a while!  The set features a very guilty looking raccoon, a skeeter, s’more, star, compass, bedroll, skeeter spray, and a twig mounted can of beans ready for the open fire.  Of course I can envision lots of playful scrapbook pages with these images, great cards for kids (and adults)… but I just had to revisit Brent’s flying bear card first!  The how-to was vaguely locked away in the recesses of my brain, and I wasn’t sure at first whether I’d be able to recall all the necessary info!  After a quick google search, I did find an excellent tutorial by Theresa Romani, and another “movement card” tutorial by fellow demo Sharon Rogers too.

I changed the card up a bit from Brent’s original design, and with the helpl of the Occasions Mini Catalog Set Forest Friends (113748/ set of 4 $14.95), my bear glides high above the tree tops. A central tree at the bottom of the card can be pulled/pushed to make the bears’ arms flap.  This photo has the tree in the ‘down’ position… when in the ‘up; position, the tree blends right into the landscape below.

heflies_cbyu2190938209wwebs

The ‘clouds’ were made using my trusty little sponge dauber and whisper white craft ink on the bashful blue card stock.  Isn’t he fun?

This card will be one of 4 made in next months’ advanced card class.  Four different designs, each will feature movement and/or pop ups and dimension.  Be sure to check my Stampin’ Up! Online Store and Website Calendar for the dates, and sign up early.

Hope you liked my flying bear, he certainly will make the recipient laugh!  See you tomorrow! 

Sharon

Pin It!

4 comments:

Draygonflies said...

Isn't he cute??!!! I love cards with movement and this one is a real treat. I'll be casing that for sure!

Rose said...

What a fun card, Sharon!

Lorianna said...

Sharon
GREAT card
Love that fact that it moves!!
Can you post the blog you got it from
I have this set and would love to do something like this for Fathers Day!!

Thanks so much

PS
Great blog
Lori

Rosie said...

So cute... I love how you added the trees at the bottom... well done! =) Rose