Thursday, February 19, 2009

Techniques Class... Three Soot Stamped Cards with a Twist

Way back in Fall of 2006, I held a really fun soot stamping with a twist class based on this 'new' technique which was all the rage.  I still have my original 'soot' cards on my Stampin' Up! Idea Board, and often am questioned about the "hand painted" or "sepia"photographs used in those cards.  Soot stamping is kind of a messy thing... and that whole 'playing with fire' thing, and sealer sprays, and smells...  But at the insistence of my techniques class attendees, I decided to revisit the soot medium this past week. 

Looking back at my SplitcoastStampers Gallery is kind of funny... stamping techniques, images, and styles have all changed quite a bit!  I played around with soot stamping a bit... and decided to take it one step further with chalk pastels.  Here is my original "Chalked Soot Stamping" card which was posted in my gallery on 12/20/2006 (sharonstamps).  Remember that corner punch?... sure wish SU still carried it!

myfirstchalksootstampedcard122006slf

Stamps:  Heartfelt Thanks; Card Stock:  Bashful Blue, Close To Cocoa  Classic Ink:  Close to Cocoa

Funny, when I first came up with chalked soot stamping, I wasn't really sure what to do with the images I'd created!! I'm almost embarrassed to share this simple card... it was really in need of some more stamping!!  But that was waaaaay back in 2006, and as stamps have changed, so has my style.  (But not my love of inventive play while stamping away the day!)

So... for my soot stamping class, I decided to revisit my chalked soot stamping technique, touch on the basic soot stamping technique, and also visit the reverse soot stamping technique.  (Really more than enough for one morning technique class, don't you think?  Barely enough time left for food!)

This is the reverse soot stamping card we did... a CASE of a swap received from my up-line (Lee Conrey)  and posted on my blog on Oct. 30th 2008.  I changed the orientation, and added a black card base to make it a little more in my own style...

choochoorvssoot0218techcbyu

Stamps:  Happiness is a Journey   Card Stock:  Basic Black, Very Vanilla  Classic Ink:  Basic Black

The reverse soot stamping technique is done by stamping an image in Versa Mark Ink onto glossy card stock.  The gloss is then turned to soot using a flaming tapered candle.  There's a trick to it, you have to move the taper steadily and not too slow or too fast while holding the card stock at 'just' the right angle.  The whole piece of card stock turns black (messy), and after allowing it to set and dry, the image is polished with a soft tissue using small circular motions.   Be sure to start with a larger piece of glossy card stock than you need... the edges almost always catch on fire, and will need to be trimmed anyway!

You can read the basic soot stamping tutorial by Beate Johns may be found on Splitcoast Stampers HERE.  There's also a wonderful tutorial for soot stamping using a brayer, I believe she calls it Colored Soot Stamping.... but it's NOT Chalked Soot Stamping... I'll post how to do that along with my samples tomorrow so stay tuned!

Sharon

Pin It!

2 comments:

Jean from jlfstudio said...

Absolutely gorgeous Sharon. And I mean both cards. I can see I have a new technique to learn and another reason to buy the Happiness is a Journey set! And who knows, with the "new" emphasis on lace look and edging punches maybe SU will bring back a few oldy but goodies. In the meantime there is always eBay and Martha Stewart punches to satisfy the need for corner coolness!

Hugs and blessings - Jean

Anonymous said...

Wow... these cards are great, I love your blog too!