Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year... Asian Inspired Kimono Book Mark Card

Happy Chinese New Year to all of you!  Today I am wrapping up the projects from my Asian Inspired Chinese New Year Stamp Camp.  I'm already working on techniques for next Wednesday's class... I'll be revisiting soot stamping three different ways... hope to see you there!

This is the final project we did at last weekends' Stamp Camp.  Inspired by Lynda Lee's tutorial, there were only a couple tricks and surprises we had to be aware of when making this card.  See Lynda's excellent tutorial HERE at "Lynda's Quiet Time."

ghi1cardchny0209_bkmkslf

 

This card was a hit... inside is a cute little bookmark/gift for the card recipient too!

Although it looks like multiple layers of ribbon, the Obi was made with basic black and whisper white card stock, and then tied with real red narrow grosgrain ribbon, isn't it fun?

One of the things that was tricky was stamping the inside folded edges of card stock... you can see my blossom smudge where I stamped and restamped in the lower half of the card... a learning experience I was able to share with my stampers so that they could avoid doing the same!

Another tip:  I did NOT glue the two layers of bookmark together.  They are simply held together with the jumbo eyelet.  I prefer to make bookmarks only attached at the top... so that the page slips between the layers of card stock.  The bookmark is less likely to slip from the book, holding snuggly onto the page.  Also, to hold the ribbon in place (you know... they always want to fall out...) simply put a glue dot under the fold in the ribbon... problem solved. 

Here's another view of this cute bookmark card.  We didn't add a greeting, even though Barbara told us exactly how to say happy new year in the Chinese language...  (I was really impressed with Barbara's language skills... all I can say in Chinese is "hi how are you" and "monkey"... and all I can remember how to write is man, woman, and big mouth... wonder who taught me that??) 

A hand written note would fit nicely on the back of the card or we could have left off some of the flowers on the bookmark and added a greeting, similar to how Lynda stamped her bookmark in her tutorial.

ghi_bookmark_card0209slf

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stamps:  Eastern Elegance

Card Stock:  Whisper White, Real Red, Basic Black

Accessories:  Jumbo Eyelet, Crop a dile tool, real red narrow grosgrain ribbon, corner rounder, real red stampin' write marker.

Well, thanks for visiting, and have a very happy, lucritive, and successful New Year!!

Sharon

Pin It!

1 comment:

Norine said...

all I can say is wow these are great
Hugs
Norine