Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chinese New Year Stamp Camp Take Out Box, Fortune Cookies, and a take out box inspired card.

We had so much fun eating and stamping this weekend!  The Asian Inspired Chinese Stamp Camp was a big hit, I'm a bit worried about doing a by demand encore theme camp for March!  All I can think of is Beer and Potatoes!!  Guess I'll have to work on that one...

takeoutbox_wfortunecookies0

This was just one of the projects we made at the Chinese New Year Camp... a take out box complete with fortune cookies!  The fortunes can be computer generated, or stamped.  When I first began planning this camp, I used templates and tricks like crazy to make a take out box... and then I had an aha! moment... and ran to the local hobby and craft store to purchase pre-made ones!  Of course the pre-assembled take out boxes had a shiny surface quite unsuitable for stamping, so I just drafted panel pieces for the identical front and back of the box.

The image from Thoughts and Prayers was stamped on Kraft Card Stock and a white signo gel pen was used to dot the white centers of the blossoms.  A sponge dauber and white craft ink were used long the sides of the kraft and basic gray card stock adorning the front and back take out box panels.

The fortune cookies were fun to make too... much easier to make with designer series paper than card stock.  The Bigz Clear Circle Die (page 195 of the spring/summer idea book and catalog) made it very easy to cut multiple circles quickly.  To see how to easily make a fortune cookies from a circle, check this Scrapfriends USA Link.

Stampin' Up! Stamps:  Thoughts and Prayers

Classic Ink:  Basic Gray

Card Stock:  Basic Gray, Kraft, Whisper White

Accessories:  PVA Glue and toothpick, Whisper White Taffeta Ribbon, Bela Bleu Designer Series Paper, White Signo Gel Pen

I really liked the take out box panel... and it was the inspiration for this card too:

takeoutboxinspired_card0209

I used the template I had drawn for the take out box, but this time layered old olive, real red, and confetti white card stock onto my card front.  The Basic Black Layer was cut at 4.25 x 5.5" and the Confetti White card was cut 4.0" x 8.25 and scored at 3" to create the fold-over.  A real red marker was used to highlight the center of the blooms, and my trio flower punch was used to add the larger flowers with real red brad centers.

Everyone loved the grass beneath this tree... what a hoot that was!!  The grass was a 'mistake' er.. or... a 'creative opportunity' I had made with my old olive marker.  I really hated the mess I made and considered trashing the entire card before rescuing it with an aqua painter and additional scribbles made with the fine tip of my stampin' write marker.  REALLY... it almost went into the garbage!  I guess the rescue was complete because everyone wanted to know how to get their grass to look like mine!  Of course, I told them the whole story... round file and all. 

Supplies

Stamps:  Thoughts and Prayers

Card Stock:  Confetti White, Basic Black, Real Red, Old Olive

Ink:  Basic Gray, Real Red

Accessories:  Real Red and Old Olive Stampin' Write Marker, Old Olive Narrow Grosgrain Ribbon, Trio Flower Punch, sponge dauber, aqua painter, Bold Brights Brads

Have you signed up for the ribbon and embellishment club yet?  only a few spots remaining.

More Asian inspired cards tomorrow.. Chinese New Year is the 12th!!

Sharon

Pin It!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little more information about Chinese New Year... It is actually a 15 day celebration which began this year on Jan. 26th, and will end on Feb. 12th with a grand lantern festival.

Sharon Field / Created By You said...

Wow! Guess I should have had a lantern and/or card featured in this camp!! Thanks for all the great info and comments!

Aimee said...

Great projects! :)