Monday, February 9, 2009

Asian Inspired... Chinese New Year Stamp Camp and Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe Too.

Many moons ago... I attend Marina Junior High School in San Francisco, as they lyrics go,"I left my heart in San Francisco." It's such a beautiful, warm, and friendly city! So... when I was looking for a theme to inspire a weekend stamp camp, I realized that Feb. 12th was Chinese New Year... how fun!

As I brainstormed projects for the camp, I knew I needed to feature a take out box, fortune cookies, and a Kimono or Ghi. And, of course, what's a stamp camp without home made food? Many years ago, I took Chinese cooking classes from a lovely lady named Shu Min Tse. Shu Min was from the Szechuan Provence of China, and and excellent teacher who not only focused on the techniques of slicing, shredding, stir fry, etc... but she also recited the history of the dishes we prepared. At the end of each class, we were fortunate enough to eat all the wonderful dishes we made too! Mulling over the food prep for camp, I decided that authentic Chinese cooking just wasn't going to fit into our schedule... after all, we did have to stamp too! I opted for Chung's frozen white meat chicken egg rolls (instead of the home made spring rolls I often do make), Almond tea cookies, fresh cherries, and chinese chicken salad.

Post-Camp, I can tell you that both the menu and the stampin' were big hits! Here's a sneak peek of the projects we made... I'll share instructions and close ups over the next couple of days.

asianinspired_stampcamp_chn

And here's the Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe I promised all my Stamp Camp Attendees:

Ingredients for Salad

1 deli chicken, de-boned and cut into bit size pieces

1 head iceberg lettuce shredded with a knife

1 bunch scallions cut 1/2" pieces on an angle, Chinese style

2 packages of ramen noodles (discard seasoning packet)

3/4 cup toasted slivered almonds (toast in 350 degree oven 5 mins, shake and toast 5 more minutes... let cool completely before adding to salad.)

Optional: shredded carrot, green pepper, celery, and/or water chestnuts

Ingredients for dressing

3 TBSP sesame oil

2 TBSP Canola Oil

1 Cup Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar

1/4 tsp white pepper

2 TBSP Splenda (or 5 TBSP white sugar)

Instructions:

Mix all salad ingredients together and store in refrigerator.

Mix all dressing ingredients together, store at room temperature.

Right before serving the salad, add dressing and toss completely.

Enjoy! Stay tuned tomorrow for more on my Asian Inspired Stamp Camp! Thanks for looking!

Sharon

Pin It!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
Chinese New Year was January 26th this year.

Your projects are wonderful.

Louise said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing this, looks like an easy but delicious meal.
Oh, and your Asian Inspired cards/takeout box are gorgeous!