Tuesday, February 17, 2009

2 x 3 Photo Brag Book

I had a crazy stamping week... and the state of my stamping room speaks volumes evidencing that fact!  Working on multiple projects for me translates into MESS... and a big one at that.  My stamping table is filled with scraps of card stock designer series paper, ribbon, and On Board Chipboard!  I will have to devote most of today to cleaning, sorting, and re-organizing.  That said, MESS also translates into productivity and creativity for me.. I'm not the quintessential neat and organized stamper... I'm much more like the Tasmanian Devil cartoon character, spinning rapidly through paper, stamps and projects until I come to a sudden stop... and that's when I have to clean.

This project was a little bit of a personal challenge.  I really enjoy making my own books, and have taken many classes in book making techniques.  Not too long ago, I found a cute little photo flip book in a local craft store.  Although my original intention was to cover the book in designer series papers, upon closer examination, I decided the pictures slots were way too small.   I'm not sure exactly what they were supposed to hold... perhaps those tiny photo booth pictures or your old drivers' license photo?  Anyway, I redrafted the book so that 2x3 photos would fit nicely into the slots, after all 2x3 is a more standard photo size!

photobook

The paper used on the covers of this book is the new textured Parisian Breeze designer series paper from Stampin' Up!  I love the Baja Breeze, Chocolate Chip, and Kraft colors in these papers!  The floral, striped, dotted, and checked patterns coordinate beautifully too! The covers were made from On Board Chipboard from Stampin' Up! which I cut down to 3.75 inches x 4.75 inches.  The kraft card stock accordion spine is covered with a 1" x 4.75" On Board chipboard spine and neatly covered with a 3" x 4.75" strip of the Parisian Breeze DSP.  I used a standard bone folder to crease between the cover and spine, making easier to open and close.

I kind of cheated on the inside pages... wanting something a little more stable than card stock but more flexible than On Board Chipboard, I chose to use the cardboard stabilizing inserts which accompany a new package of designer series paper, which I cut down to 6.5" x 4.25" and scored at 3.25" and glued along the bottom and side edges with Tombow Multi Adhesive.

photobookinside

 

To cut out the picture slots, I used the 1 3/8" Stampin' Up! square punch, to make a template first... punching multiple times to make the final 'hole' 1 3/4" x 2 3/4", large enough to accommodate a standard 2x3 photo.   After transferring the template to the inside of each photo holder page, I punched them all with my square punch.  An Exacto knife would work well for this step as well.

This was a fun personal challenge project to make... and I may offer it as a class next month, perhaps make a gift box too.  I guess I'm going to have to order some more of this Parisian Breeze Designer Series Paper too.. What do you think?

Sharon

Pin It!

No comments: