Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Moonlight Skating a Dazzling Idea

moonlight_skaters_spongedsl

This was an exercise in embossing and masking!  This card front was cased from Julie Annand I changed the functionality and colors, and added heat and stick powder and dazzling diamonds too...

 

This card uses a whopping FOUR stamp sets... Lovely As A Tree, Winter Post, Punches Three, and Winds of Grace.  Now you're thinking.. Winds of Grace??  Isn't that a sail boat image??  Correct!!  The stamp set also contains a 'wave' image.. which I thought would be appropriately used for glittering snowbanks, which are also embossed on the foreground of the card.  I couldn't get a good clear picture of the snow... but was able to capture some of the glitter within the tree branches!    I hope you can see how they glisten in the moonlight!

 

moonlight_skaters_closeup

 

I basically followed Julie's instructions for embossing the images with basic black craft ink and clear embossing powder.  The skaters were masked first (stamp the image on a post it note, cut out and place atop the image stamped on the card).  Then the trees were stamped and embossed using the same method.  One word of caution:  because you are using craft ink, it is very wet... and would be best to have two masks for the skaters... one for use when stamping the trees, and a second for use when sponging!  I found out the hard way and ended up sponging my background color as well as picking up black from the mask I had used when stamping the trees.. ugh, what a mess!

 

The moon was punched with a 1" circle punch from a post it note... the skaters, and snow were protected with post it note masks while I sponged with bashful blue, brocade blue, and finally night of navy ink.

 

I used a versamark pen to add heat and stick powder and then dazzling diamonds to the trees... and then decided to go back and sponge some color 'shading' along the lower right side of the moon too.

 

The skaters were painted using my aqua painter, and picking up color from the lid of my stamp pad.  Overall, this was a fun card to create, easy enough to try at home by yourself!  Just make sure that when you create your post it note masks for the skaters and the moon, you include the sticky part of the post it note in your mask... that, my friend is what holds the mask in place!!

See you soon!

Sharon

Pin It!

2 comments:

Ret said...

Hi Sharon,
I love this gorgeous card! Yes, I could see how it glitters in the moonlight. Your card is fantastic!

Susan B said...

Hi Sharon
I absolutely love this card. I can almost feel the cold breeze hitting my face as I share the ice with this couple. Thanks for the continued inspiration.