Monday, October 13, 2008

Cat Tails, Faux Silk, and Texture

fauxsilk_inspired_cattails

Patty Bennett had a lovely cattail card posted on her blog last week... and I just had to CASE (Copy and Share Everything)!  I've changed it up a bit, changing the colors slightly too... You can see Patty's cards on her blog HERE.

In my sample, I've used Certainly Celery, Chocolate Chip, and Naturals White card stock with the felt ribbon from the Alpine Ribbon combo in the Holiday Mini Catalog, Inspired by Nature and the cute little slot punch to make cattails.  When placing the cattails, it's really best to leave a blade of grass sticking out the top... just like they do when growing in the fields.  Here is another version... adding bashful blue card stock, chocolate chip 5/8" grosgrain ribbon and butterflies!

In this next sample, I've incorporated the Faux Silk technique on the background top note die cut... it gives the card a bit more texture, as do the dimensionally popped up butterflies.  So... what is faux silk, and how do you do it? Here we go!

Fauxsilk_inspired_butterflyFirst, I cut

a plain piece of tissue paper about 2" larger than the top note die cut.  I random stamped the grass image in certainly celery classic ink onto my tissue.  The classic ink dried very quickly... so right after stamping the image, I crumpled it up into a tight little ball... YIKES!! It's kind of scary the first time you do it.... take your stamped art and make a mess of it! 

Next, I smoothed the tissue back out... not completely though, I wanted to keep some of those wrinkles!    Now, I dampened a foam brush (damp.. not soaked) and then add some tombow glue to the brush and quickly brushed it all over the top of the top note die.  Before it had a chance to dry, I plopped my messy, crumpled stamped tissue down and patted down the wrinkles, and gently folded the excess tissue to the back of the top note die, and glued them down too.

The butterflies were stamped in bashful blue, and were from the set "Flight of the butterfly", and the corners were punched with the ticket corner punch.  Isn't it cute how the curly label punch matches the top note die too? 

Tomorrow I'll post another Faux Silk card... See you then!

Sharon

Pin It!

2 comments:

Zeta said...

SO pretty, and whimsical! I love how you have the same for the most part, but those little butterflies make a world of a difference!!!

~ZETA~

Anonymous said...

This is really cute! Great technique!