Sunday, November 2, 2008

Bella Toile and Baroque Motifs for my Seniors Class

with_sympathy_toile For my Senior Center classes, I try to keep the cards fairly simple, yet generally elegant and/or cute. The seniors let me know that they need cards for specific occasions.. thank you's, birthdays, and sympathy. Often they are looking for cards for a grandchild, or with a masculine theme. The cards are usually generic enough in design that they can interchange the greetings/words to meet their own particular needs. For instance, I stamped this first card 'with sympathy' but will also carry along to my class an assortment of other greetings such as "happy birthday" or "thinking of you". That way everyone is satisfied and happy!

The first card uses Blush Blossom and Chocolate Chip card stock, Chocolate Chip Classic Ink and Wide Grosgrain, and the Bella Toile Large Background stamp. Background stamps are actually very easy to work with.. as long as you make sure to get ink coverage on the entire stamp. In class, I show my stampers how to gently rub the stamp along the surface of the ink pad, and then tap-tap-tap. My girls at Alden Road Exceptional Student Center will merrily sing along "tap, tap, tap", and everyone giggles.. (side note)... back on track... after inking the large background stamp, turn it over and look to make sure you have adequate coverage, the stamp will glisten from the moisture on the surface. I find that I get better leverage and coverage by placing a large piece of fun foam under the grid paper which protects my table top, and while standing, press firmly down on the stamp.. moving my hand around and applying pressure at various points.

thanks2_knockoff_susanne

After I finished the card (above) I decided it needed a little more and added polka-dots to my wide grosgrain... and did so with my white gel pen! I had to go over the dots twice to get them to show up... the gel pen seemed to gently bleach out the ribbon, but were more visible after the second go around.

OK... you just saw this card yesterday, didn't you?? This is my 'knock off' of Susanne's card. I've changed the colors to use the limited supplies I had available. Here I've used the Frosty Day Designer Series Paper which is featured in the Holiday Mini Catalog. The tangerine tango color works very well with Chocolate Chip and Very Vanilla card stock. The designer paper was stamped with the lovely swirled image from the Baroque Motifs stamp set. The whole card is 'tied up' with narrow chocolate chip grosgrain ribbon.

thanks_knockoff_susanne2

After I finished this card, I thought it just needed a little 'something' more... and toyed with the thought of distressing the edges of the card stock with my sponge daubers and chocolate chip ink, but opted instead for 'faux' stitching'.

I did this free-hand, but will re-work the card with my mat pack for more even distribution of the stitched lines... aaahh live and learn! Oh... also added a few dots around the tangerine tango medallion on the card, one at each valley and one at each mountain of the image. I do like the card much better now. I'm sure my seniors will love it too!

Have a really good day!

Sharon

Pin It!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

These look really good - I love the colours and the layouts. I'm going to check out your olders ones for more inspiration. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Both cards are great! I agree, the Faux Stitching finished it nicely.