Monday, August 4, 2008

The Glossy Ghost... Convention 2008 Swap

I promised all of you that I would post this technique after the Stampin' Up! 2008 Convention in Salt Lake City, Utah, so here we go!

A little background:  I created this technique while attempting to create something unique and memorable to share with my fellow demonstrators during the convention.  I had already created 18 different/new cards for upcoming workshops/events... but none had the WOW! or Pizzazz I wanted to take along to convention.  I first began with using clear embossing on the glossy and whisper white cardstock... but neither satisfied my need for WOW!  I finally gave up and retired for the evening.  The next morning, when I came into my disheveled Stampin room, I picked up my sad attempts at WOW! and re-analyzed the work.... hmm.. I began dusting my shelves, cleaning up a bit and then had a vision... and hence was born my Glossy Ghost technique!!  technique_versamark_ghost

So... here is the card you all were asking about...

Here are the supplies:

Stamps:  Wonderful You

Cardstock:  Sahara Sand, Basic Black, Whisper White, Glossy White

Ink:  Versamark, Sahara Sand

Other:  Large and Small Oval punches, Kraft Taffeta Ribbon, Cropadile, and a cloth diaper or micro fibre cloth.

And here is how I created my Glossy Ghost:

Stamp images with versamark ink.  Use heat tool to dry completely, or allow to dry overnight.  When stamped image is dry, use a cloth diaper or micro fibre cloth (lint-free, and soft) to polish the glossy cardstock to remove all the tackiness from the versamark ink.  Put a little muscle into this step... the more you polish, the more your image will "pop"... and WOW! 

Why on earth did I happen to have a cloth diaper sitting around?   I have used them for years as dusting cloths... I have since moved on to swiffers, but keep the old diaper cloths around for lint free tasks and special things.  You do not want to use something that is scratchy UNLESS, of course you want brayer over the image... which will also give an interesting affect hmm.. maybe I'll do that today.  Lint -free is important, or the fibres will stick to the versamark and make a mess.

So... let me know what you think, send me your samples... I'd love to see them!

Sharon

Pin It!

2 comments:

RozW said...

Great idea...thanks.

andrealowcock said...

Wow! Sharon ... this is just gorgeous. I love discovering new techniques to try and this was so inspirational that I had to sit down and make one for myself straight away!! If you would like to see my card ... here it is!
http://andrealowcock.wordpress.com/2008/08/06/glossy-ghost-technique/