Friday, July 11, 2008

Fall Cards for Stampin' Up! Seasonal Whimsey


When Seasonal Whimsey appeared in the Fall/Winter Collection 2007 Stampin' Up! Catalog, it was one of those "I HAVE TO BUY THIS" stamp sets. The set of 7 stamps retails for $23.95 and has an almost Dali-esque feel to it. My Christmas card last year was made with the snowfall image from this set, and I have also enjoyed making boxes, bags, and cards from the assortment of 7 images.

This is a card I created 'just for fun'... and with a fall theme. The whimsical fall image was colored with an assortment of Stampin' Write Markers. After stamping the image, I embellished the leaves, pumpkin, and grassy hill using tombow multi adhesive and clear no-hole beads from Stampin' Up! The color beneath the clear micro beads is intensified, and sparkles in person.

I chose some 'out of the box' colors for this card, and decided to add a braided embellishment of pumpkin pie and very vanilla 1/4" grosgrain ribbon. Below, you will see a close-up of the primary image...although my camera doesn't do 'close ups' that well, so it's a bit blurry (my apologies).

Braiding ribbon was a bit of a challenge at first... but I pulled out my trusty brads and tombow multi adhesive, and it became a snap! Inserting a brad thru three layers of ribbon held them snugly in place so the braiding could be done. Once complete, I temporarily added a second brad to the bottom of the braid (a macrame board would have come in handy... remember those?). Adding a spot of tombow multi adhesive between the ribbon layers ensured they would not move or migrate and allowed me to remove the brad before attaching the braid to the card front. A narrow line of tombow multi adhesive was also added beneath the braid to ensure it wouldn't move on the card.. Fun! I found that marker-ing the sentiment (thank you) made my stamped image much finer in appearance (using a stamp pad made the letters appear much thicker), and felt it was more in keeping with the style of the whimsical image too.


Cardstock: Old Olive, Really Rust, textured Pumpkin Pie, Very Vanilla

Markers: Close to Cocoa, Old Olive, Really Rust, Pumpkin Pie

Other: Large and small oval punches, Clear Micro Beads, Tombow Multi Adhesive, Earth Elements Brads

Hope you like it!
Pin It!

1 comment:

Pat S. said...

Oh, I like this a lot! That is one of my favorite stamp sets too :) Cool idea with the braiding...and the beads...very nice!