Monday, November 12, 2007

Cricut Expressions Machine

So.. I've been experimenting with my new Cricut Expressions machine. After working with it and demo'ing it for ProvoCraft and my local AC Moore store, I finally purchased it.

The new expressions machine is much larger than the original Cricut machine, and has cutting mats up to 12"x 24"... great for teachers, scrapbookers, cardmakers, and general crafting! And, as previously rumored, they now have "Design Studio Software" with USB connectivity so that you can design your projects on the home computer and then simply push a button! The software is compatible with both XP and Vista versions of Windows (sorry, I'm not sure about the MAC compatibility).



What do I do with my expressions machine?? Aside from making diecuts shapes and boxes, scrapbook layouts and cards, I also make ornaments! Here is a fun project from the designers at Provocraft, which I demonstrate at AC Moore!

In order to make one three dimensional ornament, you will neet to cut six of each diecut shape (in this case, the snowflake from the "Accents and Essentials" cartridge). In my demonstration at AC Moore, I cut the snowflakes 5" tall. It takes 3 sheets fo 12 x 12 cardstock to make two snowflakes. At home, I vary the sizes.. 3-1/2" and 2-3/4", add glitter and a ribbon, they make great table decorations and/or ornaments!

Step 1: Cut six each of the desired diecut shape.

Step 2: Score the middle of each diecut, and then use a bonefolder to neatly crease the scored line. Repeat for all 6 diecuts.


Step 3: Use a strong adhesive or run diecuts thru a Xyron machine, and assemble by attaching two folded pieces together.

Step 4: Attach a third diecut to the previous assembly.

Repeat steps 3 and 4 so that you now have two identical halves of the 3-d ornament.


Next, simply attach the two halves to complete your 3-d snowflake ornament as shown in the picture at the top of this post!

Also shown in this post: 3-d star ornaments, which were assembled in the same manner utilizing the Plantain Schoolbook cartridge. One word of caution, if you plan to make the star ornament: they are not evenly proportional and will need to be stacked up and aligned with one another before scoring.. this way all edges will meet evenly!

Have fun!




Pin It!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your snowflake ornaments. They are beautiful. I can definitely see these snowflakes made up with a little glitter added. Thanks for sharing.

Twyla