Thursday, September 27, 2007

I'm back.. and I'm off again!! Two Card Shares

Well, I'm back from San Franciso.. what a wonderful city!! The people are so friendly, the transportation is phenomenal, and outside of a bit of rain, the weather was great! We had an opportunity to visit vineyards in Sonoma Valley, ride beneath the Golden Gate Bridge (and past one of my many childhood residences.. on the bay at the coast guard station / presidio), munch on fabulous Boudin Sourdough Bread, visit chinatown and fisherman's wharf, and see the play "Jersey Boys".. a great trip all in all!

There were two surprises along the way..

The first was in the Jacksonville airport, when I opened my "On Stage" magazine for Stampin' Up! Demonstrators, and saw the dimensional flower from my tutorial (AND words from my tutorial here and on Splitcoast Stampers) displayed with Chiaki Haverstick's Designer Circle Bag on page 4..won an award..and was credited to someone I never heard of! Imagine that! I know many artists would have an absolute COW over this.. and perhaps I came close.. I love to share.. but entering a contest with someone elses' work.. come on! I had almost forgotten about it until my upline reminded me today!.. Come on!!

The second surprise was a phone call from our son in who is in the US Air Force.. we have plans to visit him for an early Christmas holiday in December, and have already booked our flight. Imagine our faces when he called to say he may be deploying for 6 months at the end of October!! We were quite surprised because he wasn't slated to go until spring/summer 08.. (Thoughts to self: 1. Dear Lord, don't let this happen.. and 2. Hope our travel insurance covers this incident!). The plan was for him to fly into Qatar.. and then convoy around to various places including but not limited to Afghanistan and Iran.. he was so excited, ready, and willing to go.. (frowny faced mom)...


So.. today I received ONE MORE SURPRISE.. an email and phone call from our son... and I can hardly contain myself..

He's NOT going!!! YEAH!!


Of course, he was a bit disappointed.. and of course he'll be going in the future.. but we'll cross that MOM bridge when we get there!!

I mentioned that I'm home.. but off again.. that's because the Stampin' Up! regional seminar is this weekend in Orlando, Florida! Demonstrators have an opportunity to share ideas (last year I shared my flower.. which is also posted on Splitcoast Stampers and this blog). We also learn so many new things and have an opportunity to meet many talented artists, obtain a new stamp set, and do hands on projects. It's a great time for all.


Last Seminar, one of the cards we all made was a scrap card.. using up those scraps of paper and ribbon. It was a fun card.. the small button was affixed with Crystal Effects (or was that a dimensional dot??).. It was last seminar.. can't wait to see what they share with us this time!
While I'm at Regionals, I'll be participating in a 'shoebox' swap.. we will all bring the pre-cut cardstock and supplies for each swapper to create a card which we've designed. The goal is to keep the card fairly simple, reproducible, and quick. My card uses natural cardstock; brocade blue 5/8" ribbon, cardstock, marker and ink; Old Olive ink, marker, and cardstock; and the ticket corner punch. The techniques are fiberfill and inkwash.. fun and simple! The stamp set "Abundant Joy" has many floral images, and two quotes. The quote used on this card :The essence of kindness is love" is by Robert Louis Stevenson and is continued on the interior of the card. I hope everyone likes it! Have a good weekend!
Pin It!

No comments: