Sunday, June 24, 2007

Parslied Green Salad with Croutons

Well... that's not really what it is.. but many years ago I made this for a dinner party club in Pennsylvania.. we were all 'upping the anty'.. and I decided to win the annual best dinner award. I made an herb crusted prime rib roast, tender fresh green beans sauteed in olive oil with crushed garlic and fresh cracked pepper, garlic mashed potatoes, home made bread and what my mother used to call "green derby salad". Well.. my oven temp was off.. it seemed like the roast would never come up to temp.. and I burned many of the croutons... To our friends, many of them firemen.. my wonderful salad became "burned bread salad".. Even though I made it for them again and they loved it... it was always "burned bread salad" to the firemen.

This salad is something my kids BEG for.. yeah, they love the croutons.. and will casually steal them, along with my husband as I sautee them. You can make the dressing ahead, but must let it come to room temp before mixing with the iceberg lettuce. Although I'm not a great iceberg lettuce fan.. on this salad, iceberg is the only lettuce that makes the grade.. just the right touch of crisp and green.. (that's right, Kelly.. GREEN).

Green Derby Salad with Pita Croutons
Serves 4-6

Salad
8 TBSP Light Olive Oil
4 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
6 green onions, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
OR 3-4 plum tomatoes, seeded an chopped
4 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
1 large head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces

Combine olive oil, vinegar and spices. Mix until well blended.
Add onions, tomatoes, and parsley. Let stand 1 hour.
Just before serving, mix lettuce with dressing, toss and serve with croutons.

Croutons

3 large rounds Arabic bread
½ Cup light olive oil
½ Cup butter
2 TBSP dried flaked parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried chives

Cut bread into bite-size pieces.
Melt olive oil and butter in a large sautee pan. Add spices, blend to stir.
Add bread, mixing well to cover all pieces with oily mixture.
Sautee for 8 minutes or until light brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Elaine said...

We are growing everything (produce) in our garden to make this exceptional sounding salad....Can't wait to try it!! YUMM!!!

jodene said...

Sound very yummy. Thanks for sharing!

janet allen said...

LOL at your fireman story. I've never used pita bread as croutons and I'll bet they are terrific. I love salads and this one sounds great. Thanks for posting it!