Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The Gnome Becomes a Card

Supplies (all from Stampin' Up!)
Stamps: Knobbly Gnomes, Floral, Weathered, Looks Like Spring
Papers: Very Vanilla, Handsome Hunter, Sage Shadow
Inks: Versamark, Sage Shadow craft and classic inks
Other: Clear Buttons, Twine, Dimensional Dots, Dazzling Diamonds, Reinkers, 2-way Glue Stick, Glue Dots, Paint Brush, Hunter Embossing Powder, Iridescdnt Ice, Tweezers, embossing gun.
Techniques: Painting with reinkers, embossing.

I struggled with this for quite some time this afternoon! I just couldn't make this silly little gnome become a card! Finally.. inspiration from Jeanne Streiff whose elegant butterfly card was the inspiration for this layout.


Not being a fan of 'sloppy' or 'cluttered' cards.. The gnome seemed to call out for something along that order! I had to find a happy medium.. so here we are.. torn paper, twine, and a downhill stroll with his gilted sunflower delightfully drenched in dazzling diamonds. The mixed green hues in the center of the card represent the canopy of trees surrounding the flower filled "floral stamped' knoll which this little knobbly gnome travels thru.. 'weathered' ground beneath his feet represents the earth.

Embossing the Button:
Stamp argyle pattern from Looks Like Spring in versamark pad, and on button. Holding button thru the thread holes with tweezers heat with embossing button until melted and set (button will get very hot), set aside. Once cool, ink the embossed surface with craft sage shadow ink and then hold the button again with tweezers and dredge in iridescent ice embossing powder.. heat with embossing gun just until melted and set, when cool, thread two strands of twine thru the button and knot. Adhere to card with glue dots.


Butterfly Card.. same layout, but different

Yikes.. this card was hard to capture!! I tried scanning.. THAT was hopeless! I finally used my digital camera without the flash.. Although the colors are more true and vibrant, the card just doesn't photograph well..

Supplies
Stamps: Weathered, Floral, Winged Things
Cardstock: Very Vanilla, Bashful Blue
Ink: Classic Bashful Blue, Versamark
Other: BlueBliss Embossing Powder, Iridescent Ice Embossing Powder, Ivory Organdy Ribbon, Brads, Dimensional Dots, Embossing Gun, Word Window Punch, 1/8" hole punch, Bashful Blue
Reinker, and paint brush.
The Butterfly from Winged Things was embossed with Blue Bliss Embossing Powder, painted with a reinker, and then using my finger, lightly dabbed with versamark and iridescent ice powder.. embossed again. Dimensional dots make the butterfly 'pop', and the organdy ribbon was heated (very very carefully... ) with the embossing gun. It's a quick card and fun... again, inspired by Jeanne Streiff. I think I might add a layer of cardstock vellum behind the blue torn strip for dimension...hmmm.

Inspiration from Nature... What is it?
You'll have to image the black bar in the center is 'invisible'... I'm not usually drawn to blue home decor but this piece of stone is phenomenal!! I recently visited a local stone supplier (marble/granite) and was overwhelmed with the beauty of this stone from Brazil! The colors in it are Bashful Blue, Grey, Basic Black, Close to Cocoa, Sahara Sand, Very Vanilla, and Whisper White.. probably more.. there are even dazzling diamonds embedded in the stone! I'd hate to be the cutter.. how do you capture this beauty for a countertop? My imagination is running crazy.. I could use lumiere and pearl ex, and white glue, and.......

Well, maybe tomorrow!


Pin It!

2 comments:

Lee said...

Great cards! I never really cared for the knomes, but you have truly made them too cute for words. Great job!

Carolyn said...

I just love this little guy but unfortunately didn't purchase this set, I know there's still time. Thanks for reminding me about embossing the buttons. I saw this at regionals in Tampa and had forgotten about it. Really excited about regionals in Orlando in September. Maybe I will see ya there.